Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Sunroof Experts - 2004 Disco Sunroof problem with video

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe that there is a manual way to open the sunroof with an Allen key. I think its behind the trim where the motor/gearbox is. Pop the trim off and you will see a spot to put the allen key. This should allow you to see if its a mechanical or electrical issue.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I am not a sun roof expert

....but I have replaced the front sun roof motor.

"Currently, it moves about an inch, stops, then moves again." Your post. I watched the video. It seems you need to repeatedly hit the switch to move the roof an inch at a time.

I confirmed that I need only hit the sun roof switch once, and it opens all the way, after the initial "crack open" position. There is a procedure in Rave to index the sun roof motor (essentially, positioning a contact switch in the gear box to the correct spot) when installing a new motor. Did you do this?

Last edited by NickAdams; 08-29-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Take a look at rhe RAVE manual and the wiring diagrams. My guess is there is a latching and thermal decoupling relay somewhere that's not latching properly (similar to the window motor), pure guess though. The manual will hold the answer no doubt.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not do this. What is the procedure?

Originally Posted by NickAdams
....but I have replaced the front sun roof motor.

"Currently, it moves about an inch, stops, then moves again." Your post. I watched the video. It seems you need to repeatedly hit the switch to move the roof an inch at a time.

I confirmed that I need only hit the sun roof switch once, and it opens all the way, after the initial "crack open" position. There is a procedure in Rave to index the sun roof motor (essentially, positioning a contact switch in the gear box to the correct spot) when installing a new motor. Did you do this?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 discovery s

Hi! I have a 2004 discovery with the exact same problem! I've indexed the motor, replaced the ECU, tried to reset/recalibrate the system multiple times with no luck. Does anyone have any more suggestions for solving this issue?

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Drop the headliner enough and remove the sunroof motor. Make sure the sunroof is completely closed first. Look at the illustration below and make sure the microswitch is lined up properly it could be that simple. I cussed like I was still a sailor trying to figure out why mine only opened partially after I replaced it with one I got from a pull a part that looked new. Took a step back and read the rave and found out that the dial was not in the correct place hence it only opened enough to **** me off.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench

That could be the difference in it opening all the way as it should or only partially.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench

Since you said it was your front sunroof, just remove the overhead map pocket, the interior sunroof surround and with a 1/4 ratchet drive and the proper torx head, can't remember the exact size off the top of my head, you should be able to remove the sunroof motor and undo the harnessto verify to proper position of the notch and micro switch. It just takes a little patience, holding your mouth correctly and either a makers mark n coke or 2 blue moons (my preferences). After adjusting the cam on the sunroof motor by using the Allen wrench (4mm if I recall correctly) you can test it whit the headliner still handing down. If it still doesn't work, the same torx bit undoes the 3 screws the mate the motor to the assembly and you can undo them and see if there is rust or water in the magnent and winding side

Old 06-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Passenger footwell has a red wire 2 to 1 splice. That splice effects the sunroof and seats.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Passenger footwell has a red wire 2 to 1 splice. That splice effects the sunroof and seats.

wrong thread, sorry it's for LR3.

Quick Reply: Calling Sunroof Experts - 2004 Disco Sunroof problem with video