Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Removal

Old 10-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Cam Removal

Has anyone successfully removed a camshaft without removing the A/C condenser or discharging the refrigerant lines??

I have my 01 completely torn down - getting ready to build up my 04 with all the new goodies from the 01.

I attempted to pull the cam today with the condenser still in place. No go. I needed like ~4 more inches. It interferes with the face of the condenser. I tried removing the condenser and refrigerantlines to offer a bit more more wiggle room, but it was not enough. I'm certain the condenser needs to be pulled in order to get the cam out and a slide the new one in without risk of damage to the lobes.

True or False?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

There is a way, but I don't know how. When I did mine I had my (ex) mechanic help me out on that part and I wasn't there when he did it. I'd be less worried about damaging the lobes and more worried about damaging the bearings though. Maybe unbolt the engine mounts and move it around some how to get different angles? That's my only thought, but I know it's possible.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Winching
Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Has anyone successfully removed a camshaft without removing the A/C condenser or discharging the refrigerant lines??

I have my 01 completely torn down - getting ready to build up my 04 with all the new goodies from the 01.

I attempted to pull the cam today with the condenser still in place. No go. I needed like ~4 more inches. It interferes with the face of the condenser. I tried removing the condenser and refrigerantlines to offer a bit more more wiggle room, but it was not enough. I'm certain the condenser needs to be pulled in order to get the cam out and a slide the new one in without risk of damage to the lobes.

True or False?
I, unfortunately, have done it twice within the last couple of months. Undo all the brackets holding the condenser, the clamps holding the condenser lines (2), remove the fan, and the diagonal braces right behind the grill. Keep all the hardware in sandwich bags. Push the condenser as far forward as you can (be careful not to nick it on anything), and you'll create enough room to get the cam out and in. Slightest of angle at the very end. Do not hash the bearings. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yup not easy but it can be done

Old 10-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i have read that you can do it. When I did mine, I did disconnect the lines and replace the drier. The rear AC Lines made it very hard to move around.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Winching
Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
i have read that you can do it. When I did mine, I did disconnect the lines and replace the drier. The rear AC Lines made it very hard to move around.
Yes, the AC lines make it a PITA. Undo the clamps holding them (one screws into one of the front aux brackets, the other is right next to the driver side horn). It still takes some time and patience - but can be done.