Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant fix a flashing engine code

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to borrow my fathers coder reader it has live Data. Although I did switch the upstream O2 sensors today and reset the computer to check out tomorrow. I think I located the two temp sensors one is on top of the engine. you can see it in between the alternator and the a/c compressor. the other screws into the radiator just above the lower hose. although the radiator I got off Ebay doesn't have that opening. I will read the codes again tomorrow if I have any (which I will) and get back with you ASAP. thanks again sir(s)

Old 05-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

yes, one is on top of the engine. I believe, right where you are looking. And yes, the other is in the radiator.
If all your misfires move to the other side after swapping the O2 sensors, then you've got that problem narrowed down. Just replace the one sensor and they should all go away.
I don't know whether or not replacing that O2 sensor will take care of all the codes, or at least maybe not the P1117, but it may???
I would wait until you see what codes come back with the O2's swapped over.
Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, keep in mind that no matter what is causing the misfires, driving too long with too much raw fuel going through the catalytic converters will damage them. So if you find that your misfires move to the other bank, you should get that sensor replaced as soon as possible. Or stop driving it, if that's an option for you. Depending on how bad the misfire is, I've seen cats get destroyed in just a day or so. If it's just an O2 sensor telling the computer to add more fuel, it shouldn't be as bad as a constantly stuck on injector. However, it's never good!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM
7th Gear

well I am still getting a misfire on 1,3,5,7 p01300. Last week I was getting a O2 code (LEAN). I guess its time to mess with the cam and crankshaft sensors. Jeez

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your having multiple misfires on the left side of the engine, why would you replace the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor when the operate both side of the engine?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a TEMP sensor that screws into the Radiator.

Did you put that in the new radiator?

Is the sensor just blowing in the wind somewhere in the engine compartment?
That will certainly mess up your fueling with the ECU.

All of your O2 sensors need to be stable.

You should probably just replace the front two O2's with
Bosch new sensors no matter what.

A blinking Check Engine Light means you are HARMING your catalytic convertors as the light is blinking with RAW GAS from cylinders which are NOT FIRING.

Up to you what you do.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Use Enginecode master to look at codes.
That is what it is for

http://enginecodemaster.com

An example code is P0100

Always a P and then the 4 digit number.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mark_Wooten
well I am still getting a misfire on 1,3,5,7 p01300. Last week I was getting a O2 code (LEAN). I guess its time to mess with the cam and crankshaft sensors. Jeez
It is very unlikely to be the cam and/or crank sensors.
Did you say that you swapped the front O2 sensors? If so, and your lean codes stayed on the same side, did you clear the codes first? Sometimes ECU's do strange things and use substituted values to keep the vehicle running. You really need a scan tool with live data (and a lot of experience with these things). It makes it so much easier to diagnose problems.
Is there any chance you're intake is pulling in unmetered air from somewhere on bank one? You can search for a vacuum leak with water. Once you find the leak, you'll hear it sucking in water. And probably misfiring pretty bad too.
A vacuum leak could throw a lean code at first and then turn into a misfire and/or rich condition as the ECU adds fuel to make up for the unmetered air.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 PM
5th Gear

I was recently having the same problem and was looking at new coils and wires but after I looked at the plug wire and coil configuration I noticed that coil 1 is for 1,4,6,7 and coil 2 was for 2,3,5,8 so that eliminated an issue with coils ( because cylinders that are misfiring are not on same coil and then there was a really small chance that all the wires on the left bank are all bad) so I pulled the left bank 02 sensor and put in a new one ( bosch ) and it fixed my problem. also try cleaning the plugs before starting up when swapping the 02 sensor around it will help the sensor read better and it wont dirty up the 02 sensor that's working because to much carbon build up can cause them to over heat and that makes them go out faster. been driving my disco ll for about a week with no code. if it helps here's my codes P0130,P0171,P0300,P0301,P0303,P0305,P0327,P1171,P1 300,P1412

Last edited by ledbetter_11; 06-21-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"I" do not believe one coil does 1234 and the other does 5678. you might want to check the RAVE

Last edited by drowssap; 06-17-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: cant fix a flashing engine code