Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

I decided to get my hands dirty and replace the "O" ring in the "Heater return pipe", but I'm unable to pull it out of its place after removing the bolt that holds it; in the attempt, I broke off the "brake servo vacuum pipe" right at the inlet plenum.

Any clues on how to get the pipe out and temporary solution for the broken pipe, if any?

Attached Thumbnails CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some-20160521_145018_rev1.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Regarding the brake vacuum hose: My first thought is you might get lucky at the hardware store with a same or close size press fit collar liberated from a tubing union that will work until a replacement part arrives.
Regarding the heater pipe: PB Blaster is your friend.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

LZN100390L

If I remember correctly, this is the part you need. It also fits a Freelander. Do a Google search of this number for images. You will see this part is pressed into the intake. This maybe the wrong part number for your needs. I cannot the one for your D2.

SQB103300

This is the vacuum hose from the brake booster.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Regarding the brake vacuum hose: My first thought is you might get lucky at the hardware store with a same or close size press fit collar liberated from a tubing union that will work until a replacement part arrives.
Regarding the heater pipe: PB Blaster is your friend.
...thanks NickAdams for your quick response! ...will WD40 work, or will PB Blaster make it easier, as per the "press fit collar" suggestion, I'll give it a try, hopefully both things are something I'll find at Home Depot, thanks again!

Job seemed pretty straight forward and relatively easy, but things have gone south proportionally! ;-]#

Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

PB Blaster is at least an order of magnitude more powerful than WD-40. I'm pretty sure they have it at Home Depot.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

That vacuum port is a real PITA, and it breaks all the time. You should be able to pull it out and then sleeve the vacuum line back into it, sealing it well with RTV sealant. Works on mine.
It looks like you also have an open vacuum port just slightly below and to the left of the broken one. That metal tube should have a cap over it.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD
LZN100390L

If I remember correctly, this is the part you need. It also fits a Freelander. Do a Google search of this number for images. You will see this part is pressed into the intake. This maybe the wrong part number for your needs. I cannot the one for your D2.

SQB103300

This is the vacuum hose from the brake booster.
Thanks BritishAutoWorksSD! ...actually is LZN100220LG for Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vacuum, and SQB103301G for Hose Brake Servo To Intake Manifold with Secondary Air Injection; all for nearly $60, you live you learned and still haven't finished the job that started it all! anyways, thanks for the help mate! ;-]#

Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Also, we have Parker stores called Bond-FluidAire here that sell almost every conceivable fitting.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
That vacuum port is a real PITA, and it breaks all the time. You should be able to pull it out and then sleeve the vacuum line back into it, sealing it well with RTV sealant. Works on mine.
It looks like you also have an open vacuum port just slightly below and to the left of the broken one. That metal tube should have a cap over it.
...thanks Mollusc! ...in my mind I had that kind of idea, to glue the thing back in there and hopefully it'll hold until "forever, or a replacement arrives... and from what I've seen I will have to get both parts; the one that goes into the inlet ($36 @ AB), and I guess the line itself ($23 @ AB), since it broke off; would had only been that if I didn't start prying on the red tab like a "Desperado" and breaking that off too ...grrrr... as per the open vacuum port you see, I had unplugged the line minutes earlier, so no prob there, is just laying out of view, but thanks for the heads up there! ;-]#

Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

I don't think you would need to replace the line itself. There's plenty left to be able to insert through the fitting. I don't know if the original line has a flare or flange on the end of it because mine was broken when I got my truck, and it has broken at least twice more since then while I was working on the engine. Each time I have simply cut the end of the line off neatly and sealed it through the fitting.

Quick Reply: CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some