Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters

I don't want to go to the stealership and pay $1300 plus tax for 'em. In fact, I don't want to pay even half that. What are my options? Anyone has any experience with aftermarket/generic converters? Used? What's the scoop? I look after this truck in as much as changing oil regularly, even serviced the tranny about 18k ago, but it's not worth it pouring a lot of money into. Please help. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Catalytic Converters

How do you know your cats are bad? What year truck do you have and what is the mileage?
Have you fixed what caused the cats to fail, know worse then replacing them and having them go bad again.
You can go to http://www.completeexhaust.com/produ...roducts_id=184
and buy some good inexpensive cats and have a muffler shop install them for about $120ish and labor.
Mike

Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling

It's a 2000, produced in late 1999. It's got around 120K on it. My O2 sensors were bad, I replaced them, probably too late. Left cat is making noise, it also seems to have clogged up and the car lost some power and pick-up. The rest of the exhaust seems to be good. My question was, does anyone have experience with after-market cats? Do they work as well as the OEM? What about the sensors, can I get those generic/aftermaket as well?? Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I have had a number of people install aftermarket cats with good results. If you can go for the high performance low restriction cats for better then factory results.
Mike

Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Sounds great to me. But can I be so bold as to ask for any particular brand or website where they are offered? I've seen a few for sale, but how do I know which are OK and which to stay away from? Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Administrator

They all have a federal standard to meet, past that it is based a the quality of the case. Just make sure to get the performance low restriction one and you'll be fine.
Mike

Old 01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey DiscoMike, sorry to be a pain; the link you gave me is for a regular, non-high flow standard replacement muffler. The same people, however, are also offering a Magnaflow low restriction converter, http://www.completeexhaust.com/advan...&Submit=Go
Any advice on which one of these should I use?? I'd go with the Magnaflow, but I'm totally incompetent in this. Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Search a little further, and as for which to pck, get whatever sounds best for you cause enf result you won't feel much if any difference between the anyway.
http://www.completeexhaust.com/index...d4c169fb9ff55f
Mike

Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Overlanding

something worth checking into is the federal regulations. I'm not sure of the exact year, but they increased the factoryregulation from the old 6 year 60,000 mile to something outrageous, like ten year 100,000 mile, maybe even more. Thing is, as with any dealer, they don't volunteer that information, if you check into it and find some good info, please post back and correct me.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi all. I've been rattling around all this time - and decided to do the cats now. I need to do the emissions inspection next month. I'm going to go the with Magnaflow(Car Sound?)part number 94004 driver's side cat converter http://www.completeexhaust.com/produ...roducts_id=177, which is available here for $67 and change. Questions:
1)I am still retaining an original OEM passenger-side cat with about 120,000 miles on it - will these two pair up well enough to provide an up-to-specs performance? I believe that the right-side cat is OK, it does not rattle or leak...
2)If my O2 sensors need to be replaced, I've seen a bunch of $25 sensors on eBay, while the factory ones are over $100 each and then some. What's the consensus of this?
I want to take as good of a car about this truck as possible, but it only being worth about 5K, I don't want to dump money into it, and there is NO WAY I'm going to the stealership. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converters