Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When driving above 30mph if I let off gas and then press gas again it shutters..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When driving above 30mph if I let off gas and then press gas again it shutters..?

Hey I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 116k miles I'm trying to make 110%. I've noticed while driving if I get up to speed and release the gas and just coast for a bit I can feel it shift into neutral, then when I press the gas again it kind of "dumps" back into gear and makes a slight sound and shutter. I've changed xfer case fluid, diff fluid, and tranny case fluid and while they were very dirty and obviously never changed it didn't help very much. Besides that it runs great, no funny noises it accelerates fine, no slipping at all.

Could this be drive shaft issues I've read about? Is there anyway to check if the drive shaft is good or what I should be looking for? Besides normal oil changes it basically had no other maintenace to the drive train.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How to check the front prop shaft: best if you can support all four wheels off the ground. But if not its okay crawl under truck and locate front prop shaft, inspect universal joints & coupling at transfer case end for excessive wear, grab hold off prop shaft and shake up and down, then side to side should not be any play if there is its failing. If it is a factory shaft with 116k you should replace it anyway as your on borrowed time. Now if you have all wheels up and a assistant then have the helper turn the front wheel back and fourth with sudden jerks and pay attention to the transfer case output shaft as there is a bearing in there that can fail and cause play and noise. Good luck and please be safe when laying under your vehicle.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Drifting

How much do you sell your drive shafts for ? Can it be easily replaced?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

My drive shaft is $300 delivered to your door and it does come with 8 new ny-lock nuts. Pretty simple to replace and as for laying on your back most people can tackle the job in a half hour. There are 8 nuts and bolts that hold it on you remove the nuts from the transfer case side (bolts will stay in place) then remove nuts and bolts from front diff side lower the front end down and gently slip it off the bolts on the transfer case end! Put the new one on in reverse order.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Will I have to replace xfercase and diff fluids? Is pinion seal replacement commonly done with driveshaft replacement ?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First when was thew last time that truck had a major service as listed on a sticky at the top of this section? When did you last check your tranny level, if you know how and when was it last serviced? Do you have any check engine light on, if so go to you local parts store have the codes read for free and get back to us with each fault code number.
As for checking a D2 front drive shaft, unlike many others these shafts can fail , even though they feel firm, if they don't have 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 u-joints, so crawl under and look,

Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

I read the first post and know you have done your fluids. Just curious did you have this same problem back in the beginning of December when you had all your other codes and vacuum leak issues or is this new?

Last edited by lr2001silver; 12-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Drifting

@ Lr2001silver The issue has always been present... I just assumed changing the fluids would have fixed it.

@Disco Mike The major service that I did was t/stat and coolant flush, clean MAF, replaced front 2 o2 sensors, Seafoam the motor, ATF fluid, Xfer case fluid, and both diff fluids. I have not gotten to the "Rebuild or Replace the front drive shaft if it only has 1 grease fitting" which is why I am more leaning towards the driveshaft. One thing I do have a question about is when it says "Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive" When I changed my transmission fluid I just used high mileage ATF fluid... what additive should I have added?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Also I believe this was the first time any of the fluids have been changed other than motor oil. I am going to assume everything driveshaft related is going to be OEM, including drive shaft but I will verify today. When I changed the diff's it was milky thick and the transmission fluid smelled terrible.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

Any kind of Lucas trans additives or similar. Burnt fluid does stink and milky fluid is usually contaminated with water.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 12-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: When driving above 30mph if I let off gas and then press gas again it shutters..?