Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirp noise from new drive shaft. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Chirp noise from new drive shaft. Normal?

I'm leaving this forum and have deleted all my work in this thread.

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-12-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Did you grease it before installing?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Yes I greased the shaft before installing. I did not see a center ball grease point but I got the other 4. It kind of sounds like the rubber seals on the U-Joints squeaking. It might such need to break itself in a bit, but I want to make sure before I drive any more.
Sounds like rubber squeaking but, if it were me, I would be concerned....no room for error on that.

I don't think there is a grease fitting for the centering ball on their driveshafts.

I would get up with Erik, have him take a look/listen to the video and see what he suggests. Maybe he can send you another one or maybe he'll tell you it's normal?

I've rebuilt quite a few driveshafts with new u-joints and, when greased properly, never noticed any squeaking. Did you grease it till each and every seal swelled or till grease came out of all four caps on each joint? If it is rubber squeaking, that should stop it, if it doesn't I would be worried.

JMO

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-03-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

While you are shaft shopping. T woods more or le$$ than gbr?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Alright I'm back from the test drive already. Sure enough the chirp is there and louder than ever. The shaft is coming off as soon as the truck cools down.

Now I just need to decide between putting the old shaft back on for now or just locking the CDL. How fast can you drive without the front shaft?
Bummer!

Not sure how fast you can drive with cdl locked and no front shaft.

But if all else fails here's what looks to be a good made in USA HD driveshaft for about the same money with greasable centering ball from an ebay seller (taddcom) that makes and deals in driveshafts only and with 100% + feedback. (no affiliation)

1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 HD Upgrade Front Driveshaft | eBay

But.... what we don't know is who makes his u-joints.... but then again I don't think we know who/where luckys u-joints/shafts are made either.

I'm like you though and like to deal with forum members when possible but, sometimes I just go with what I think is the best quality part for the money. So... please don't jump in my sh*t for suggesting anyone other than one of our contributors here.

I do have a lucky8 driveshaft in one truck that I just bought and plan to leave it in there... and have not heard anything bad about their shafts.

I also have not tried firsthand one from the seller above. I'm just saying for $250 shipped it looks good and has 1310 joints, like the $350 + $25 shipping HD shaft from BPU, but we don't have any firsthand experience with it yet.

and also we do know that BPU's has spicer joints....that's a big +. and we also have T. woods and gbr to choose from with HD shafts.

I am also guessing that if the ebay seller above's shaft has top shelf joints he would say so and the cast parts could have come from china and just welded together in USA so?...sometimes it's as much about what they don't say as it is what they do say.

I plan to email them and ask and if it turns out the joints are made in china then it is only as good as it's weakest link and would be no better than any of the other bargain upgrade shafts.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-11-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

My rover was ran without one for a year with the cdl engaged as per PO and I drove it without it for a week and didn't have any issues other than it felt weird comparing it how it drives with it on.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good call! good luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Chirp noise from new drive shaft. Normal?

Nah, it's the birds

Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I have the same issue

I hope it goes away. I am more than disappointed if I have to clean paint off of a new part.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
Default yes

Are you getting the same sound from your new Lucky8 drive shaft? I was hoping that I was the only person with this problem. I let Erik over at lucky8 know about my problem and he said he would let the company that builds the shafts for them know.
If I were you I would call or write an email to the guys at Lucky8. They can't fix the problem if people don't let them know what's going on. I'm sure if they start to hear of a bunch of problems with the drive shafts they will take steps to fix the problem.
You can always return the drive shaft to them if you don't want to mess with it. If you block the back wheels, put the shifter in 'N", and lift the front passenger tire, you can spin the drive shaft with the tire. This will help you recreate the sound to help pin point it, and you can do this turn the drive shaft to get to the grease fittings. Did you grease the drive shaft before driving?
The shop that installed it did grease the shaft. I will email him today.

Quick Reply: Chirp noise from new drive shaft. Normal?