Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing M&S after Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing M&S after Car Wash

Hey Guys-

First of all, I appreciate all of the help so far. I am a month into owning my Disco and have solved 5 or 6 problems thanks to this forum.

I have a 2003 Disco II with 87K miles. I went to the car wash this morning and came out with the flashing M and S lights as well as a flashing drive symbol. This happened a few weeks ago after a carwash as well.

The car allowed me to slowly drive to Auto Zone where they read codes P0155, P0154, P0101, P0505, P0335, and P1884.

30 minutes later the car was fine and was no longer putting out any codes, just like last time.

From what I have read it sounds like water may be getting into the gearbox or gearbox wiring, but I have not found a definitive answer on the many posts regarding flashing M&S.

Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I am replacing my rear right speed sensor to rid my car of the TC and Hill Descent Lights this weekend (hopefully). I'll post an update if this works... especially because I only have two of the three amigos like some others have mentioned.

-Dustin

Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you probably want to roll around under there looking for a bad connection. I would unplug everything i could reach and put them back together using dielectric grease, pay close attention to the XYZ switch.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Hey Guys-

First of all, I appreciate all of the help so far. I am a month into owning my Disco and have solved 5 or 6 problems thanks to this forum.

I have a 2003 Disco II with 87K miles. I went to the car wash this morning and came out with the flashing M and S lights as well as a flashing drive symbol. This happened a few weeks ago after a carwash as well.

The car allowed me to slowly drive to Auto Zone where they read codes P0155, P0154, P0101, P0505, P0335, and P1884.

30 minutes later the car was fine and was no longer putting out any codes, just like last time.

From what I have read it sounds like water may be getting into the gearbox or gearbox wiring, but I have not found a definitive answer on the many posts regarding flashing M&S.

Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I am replacing my rear right speed sensor to rid my car of the TC and Hill Descent Lights this weekend (hopefully). I'll post an update if this works... especially because I only have two of the three amigos like some others have mentioned.

-Dustin
You have 2 02 failure codes, a MAF failure code, a idle control malfunction and a crank position code.
My first thought is, it is not related to a XZY. Do you still have your original factory plug wires?
I would suggest you remove and clean each and every connection with contact cleaner and dye electric. I would also check all you battery and alternator cables and grounds as well as having a charging system test done at a local parts store, let us know the exact volts they find.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you both.

I do have the original wires, but am planning on replacing the plugs and wires next weekend (using Magnacor wires and Bosh plugs).

I had the charging system/ battery tested at Pep Boys a few weeks ago and they said it was totally fine, but I do not have the exact voltage readout. They did clean the terminals and put protectant on them as well.

Mike, just to clarify are you suggesting I clean every spark/plug wire connection or every electrical connection on the engine?

Also, in that case, is this presumably the result of some of the electrical connections in the engine bay getting wet? This seems to make sense, since it takes about 30 minutes and the problem solves itself.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, not your plug wires but all your sensor connections.
Normally you never hear of a D2 having issues being power washed, I do mine at least once a month and have for more then 10 years, never had an issue.
The only reason I asked about your plug wires is that the factory grey wires will leak like a sive when being washed.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Problem Solved

I slowly "guessed and checked" adding grease to the sensors that were causing codes and was able to solve this.

Turns out that water was getting into the electrical connection on my Crankshaft Sensor. Once I cleaned the connection and added electrical grease, I was no longer able to reproduce the problem.

Seems to be solved.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good to hear at least you didnt go crazy throwing parts at it.