Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question for you. I'm replacing the coil pack, after my 2K DII continues to run a little rough periodically, after having replace the plugs and wires. I've also notice a couple of times the temp needle has risen and then goes back down. I've read that some times a bad ignition problem can lead to cat convertor problems with a symptom being a rise in temp...and once I did hear a weezing but only once. Does it sound like I need to replace the cat conver after replacing the ignition coil pack?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have to pull the intake off so you can remove the bolts and get the coils out.
Who's plugs and wire have you installed? Have you pulled the plugs to check their condition? What octane gas are you burning, you could have some carboned up valves giving you those codes, may want to do a compression test to rule this out before throw $300 at a new coil set.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
7th Gear

Thanks disco mike, I've read alot of your posts and you seem to be a very reliable source of information.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did a coil pack not too long ago. Download the RAVE CD/Manual and have at it. Probably one of the more difficult aspects of the job was getting the bolts securing the coil packs out, the rest of everything is pretty accessible.

I was actually a wee bit apprehensive about ripping the intake off, but it wasn't any big deal at all.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Wires Without Removing IM

search for coil pack to see "Replace Wires Without Removing IM". I replace coil pack this way, but have spend a lots of time trying to remove coil pack individually, it is easier to remove the "coil pack mounting bracket" first, rotate the bracket to get access to six bolts on the two coil packs.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM
7th Gear
Default It's possible

Thanks DISC5995! I was able to repleace both coils without removing the IM. Wasn't easy and I have fat hands but did it in about 1.5 hours. I took your advice and removed the plug wire holder from the left side, removed and marked each wire from both coils, unbolted the bracket and was able to move it so I could unscrew the 3rd bolts from each coil and then remove the 2 bolts from the top of each coil and finally, was able to slide each coil out carefully from the left side.

the bracket cannot be slid out.

Putting it back together I slide 1 in at a time starting with the right one and screwed the 3rd bolt and then the 3rd bolt of the left one, moved the bracket in place, replaced the wires, screwed in the 4 bolts on top and remounted the bracket with the 2 8mm bolts.

The only other thing I removed other than the wire bracket was unhooking the wire pack.

It's not as easy as I make it I'm sure, my hands are a little dinged up, as well as my chest from laying atop the engine but overall, it wasn't hard. You just have to remain patient to work at getting the pack tweaked around so you're able to remove and replace the 3rd bolts. I wish I had pics.

The following users liked this post:
kdscott100 (08-01-2020)
Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Mudding
Default #4 misfire and coil pack replacement

Wow ! I would have thought it impossible to change the packs with removing the IM. I am definitely questioning my ability to do so. At this point I am not sure the coil packs are what I need to fix my problem. Problem: SES #4 cylinder misfire sets intermittently. Have installed new original equipment Champion plugs and 8mm Magnecore ignition wire set. Runs amazingly better but still have an intermittent #4 misfire set. It has become more frequent with colder temperatures. It is an actual misfire; the vibration can be felt. My son mentioned it has occurred most often when he shifts into reverse right after startup. May be a coincidence but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Want to know what the experts think. Thank you and goodbye for now.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info on this guys...i'll be doing this as well this weekend.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

me too

Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by uniden290
I'm trying to replace the coil pack in my 2K DII. Does anyone know a way to do it without having to remove the upper intake manifold? As far as i can tell it's pretty much locked in there and no way to get it out without doing that. Also, if I do have to remove the upper intake, what's all intailed to that. Is it just a matter of removing the bolts, lifting it, replace the gasket and tighten the bolts. Do they have to be torqued?
i got the same issue

Quick Reply: Coil Pack replacement?