Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Replacement Suggestions

Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Pack Replacement Suggestions

Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone has some suggestions on coil pack brands. I can buy the "Bosch" pack at Atlantic Britsh for nearly $300.00, but I found some others for a substantial amount less. One is made by Standard, the other is made by Beck Arnley. Both of these can be purchased for under $100.00, including shipping.

Anyone have some pros and cons to offer?

The Standard has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, whereas both the others are under 1 year. That's something that makes me scratch my head a bit.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

As far as why I'm replacing the coil pack, it's because I have a misfire. The codes are for a Cylinder 1 misfire, and a random cylinder misfire. I've already replaced the wires with the Magnecor 8mm wires from AB. It ran fine for the first 30 miles or so, and then started misfiring again. I thought the issue was due to a bad connection at the coil, combined with the unbelievable Detroit potholes, so I pulled and re-seated them a second time with no change. I also had the head gaskets replaced by the dealer about 12 months prior to the misfire starting. This is just my next step in the process of elimination. I did speak with my excellent Service Writer about the issue, and he agreed that a weak coil is likely the culprit.

Thanks again in advance.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced coil packs a few months back. I buy most everything through either AB or RN and can't remember which source I used for the coil packs. At the time you could buy the Bosch as an assembly which included the bracket or buy individual Bosch coil packs. Two individual coil packs were quite a bit cheaper so that's what I did. The job is big enough and requires an upper intake manifold gasket so I didn't want to do it again very soon, so I wanted the Bosch parts. Time and effort are worth more than the savings on some parts.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Colorado David
I replaced coil packs a few months back. I buy most everything through either AB or RN and can't remember which source I used for the coil packs. At the time you could buy the Bosch as an assembly which included the bracket or buy individual Bosch coil packs. Two individual coil packs were quite a bit cheaper so that's what I did. The job is big enough and requires an upper intake manifold gasket so I didn't want to do it again very soon, so I wanted the Bosch parts. Time and effort are worth more than the savings on some parts.

True enough, I also buy nearly everything from AB. However, I'm trying to find out if anyone has actually used one of these aftermarket coils, and found a reason they are not equally productive. I would normally do the same thing as you.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

because of there location i would go with The Standard has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty,but thats just me

Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the cheaper version that was just the coil packs themselves. Forgot which brand it was but it also cross lists with some kia sedan. It's been working great no problems. Still have my originals though as they weren't actually bad in the first place.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you replaced/swapped the troublesome spark plug to see if the misfire moves? Just curious. I too had misfires and thought I might have bad coils, but mine were caused by bad wires. I purchased the individual coil packs but never had to use them. Where in the "D" are you?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by drowssap
because of there location i would go with The Standard has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty,but thats just me
That's the way I'm leaning, if for no other reason than to see if it's worth it. If not, at least others can learn from my mistake.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I bought the cheaper version that was just the coil packs themselves. Forgot which brand it was but it also cross lists with some kia sedan. It's been working great no problems. Still have my originals though as they weren't actually bad in the first place.
I think I'll be ordering the less expensive 'Standard' pack. at the very least, I'm getting a three year warranty if they fail.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by floundering
Have you replaced/swapped the troublesome spark plug to see if the misfire moves? Just curious. I too had misfires and thought I might have bad coils, but mine were caused by bad wires. I purchased the individual coil packs but never had to use them. Where in the "D" are you?
I have, I've swapped the plugs and the wires. The plugs looked clean as they were replaced less than 1 year ago, but I replaced them anyhow. The wires were definitely shot so I installed the Magnecor 8mm.

I'm on the East Side of Detroit, so nearly all of Michigan is "Northern Michigan" to me. Are you nearby, or U.P.?

Last edited by detroitmike; 05-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by detroitmike
I have, I've swapped the plugs and the wires. The plugs looked clean as they were replaced less than 1 year ago, but I replaced them anyhow. The wires were definitely shot so I installed the Magnecor 8mm.

I'm on the East Side of Detroit, so nearly all of Michigan is "Northern Michigan" to me. Are you nearby, or U.P.?

Close to southern end of Torch Lake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil Pack Replacement Suggestions