Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Coil-Pack Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Coil-Pack Situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

I'm doing my research in case I need to replace my truck's old, rusty and beaten up coil-packs, due to a misfire code popping up that I'm trying to solve.

If push comes to shove, I'll reuse actual mounting bracket, so would be needing just the packs themselves, so that'll shave some well earned money off the final price.

Price range does varies; I found a local vendor selling a set of BOSCH's for $130 (yellow box with printed red BOSCH logos, and packs with yellow Bosch branded labels are shown, so "apparently" a BOSCH set) ...another set described as "LAND ROVER BRAND – OEM GENUINE (Genuine Part)" for $142 (brown box with "LAND ROVER" label is shown) ...a $120 set from EUROSPARE ...and a $58 set from ALLMAKES 4x4

...so "POP QUIZ HOT SHOTS" ...what would you do? what would you do?

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 03-26-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Standard Motor Products (SMP) complete coil assembly > UF-545 $41.79 @ Rockauto.

SMP individual coil > UF-614 $47.79 each @ Rockauto.

Shop around the part numbers and I bet you find the coils for a lower price. These work spot on. Cheers

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by OverRover

Standard Motor Products (SMP) complete coil assembly > UF-545 $41.79 @ Rockauto.

SMP individual coil > UF-614 $47.79 each @ Rockauto.

Shop around the part numbers and I bet you find the coils for a lower price. These work spot on. Cheers
...thanks OVERROVER, will definitely follow your recommendation, but also was looking into which brand I should buy, besides getting a good deal of course. ;-]#

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look on eBay for Land Rover / Kia coil paks. They were being sold for $17 last year when I replaced both of mine for a misfire. Good to go (despite yanking out the air induction tubing twice to do wires then coil paks ! )

Edit...... Whoops, did I see Your pix showing it labeled for $40 for the whole assembly?
That's a good deal, already mounted on a plate besides.

Last edited by CarolinaRovin; 03-27-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Edit....
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaRovin
Look on eBay for Land Rover / Kia coil paks. They were being sold for $17 last year when I replaced both of mine for a misfire. Good to go (despite yanking out the air induction tubing twice to do wires then coil paks ! )

Edit...... Whoops, did I see Your pix showing it labeled for $40 for the whole assembly?
That's a good deal, already mounted on a plate besides.
His pic shows $40 per coil.

The link in this thread has the assembly of both coils for $40, although I'm told that the bracket has fitment issues and you'll need to swap these coils onto your existing bracket.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...il-pair-83423/

Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Winching

...these packs' prices sure are manageable, and I agree on why pay the extra bucks on a mounting plate that you already have, so I'll be reusing mine.

It all comes down to actually need to replace your packs, although at these prices it should be good on a 15 yr old truck -in my case.

Other decision to make is what brand to buy, there are many choices, and at these prices I think the BOSCH branded one must be the right choice; heck! engine is BOSCH.

I'm giving myself this week to swap plugs and see if the misfire replicates in a different cylinder; if not, well, I have already swapped wires and same cylinder misfired, so if same cylinder misfires after swapping plugs, off to replacing the coils, or should I swap them as well? ...hmmm ;-/#

Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I was going to buy new coil packs for my 2001 Disco because mine are probably the original packs from 2001.
Since I passed my emissions test, I'll probably wait to get them now.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do mine twice, with removing the air induction crap twice, in February, laying on top of the motor for 3 hours, twice.
8mm wires and plugs didn't fix the misfire.
For that price replace the packs as well and save yourself a while lot of grief.
Good luck , it's a constant battle with these finicky pigs.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by CarolinaRovin
I had to do mine twice, with removing the air induction crap twice, in February, laying on top of the motor for 3 hours, twice.
8mm wires and plugs didn't fix the misfire.
For that price replace the packs as well and save yourself a while lot of grief.
Good luck , it's a constant battle with these finicky pigs. Hopefully my misfire would get fix after all this.

LOL ...share your frustration with these "finicky pigs" and the constant battle as you mentioned, keeps us busy I guess ...and yup, for what is worth, new coil-packs probably is the right thing to feed this little piggy of mine! ;-]#

Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I went ahead and bought the coils from Amazon. Cheers guys!

Quick Reply: ..:: The Coil-Pack Situation ::..