Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather. Wont Start.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cold weather. Wont Start.

Driving yesterday and cut off at stop light, started back up, but not immediately. Started fine the rest of the day.
This morning 2 degree temp, tries to start and will not turn over, just revs, but wont start. The only code i get is p1884.

99 Discovery II

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The 1884 is not the problem, that is a tag along code only and is not the problem. It is not the cold weather cause Rovers like cold weather.
How many miles on the truck, when was it last tuned along with 8 mm plug wires and what octane gas are you running?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling

177,740 miles, plugs and Magenecor wires march 2011.....87octane.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by logicmike44
177,740 miles, plugs and Magenecor wires march 2011.....87octane.
These require premium so that is a good place to start. Might want to throw some really good fuel injector cleaner and do a seafoam type cleaning too.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks,
should i go buy a few gallons of premium and add it to get it to start?
Will the seafoam work without being able to start ?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks,
should i go buy a few gallons of premium and add it to get it to start?
Will the seafoam work without being able to start ?
No, I think you would fry your starter before getting any premium in there anyway. The seafoam needs to be done with the motor running, so that won't work. If you are going to throw something in, you might want to consider some of the stuff that gets the water out of the tank (always a possibility especially with cheaper gas). Might also want to consider some Lucas additive/cleaner or another one. I don't think this is the only issue honestly, but sure could be part of it.
Any other codes? Did CEL light come on?

Last edited by Snafu / Disco Fries; 01-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling

no codes other than the p1884, the CEL has been on before for misfires. Weather will be warmer tomorrow, hopefully it will start...

Could it be water frozen in fuel line from 87 gas ?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

no codes other than the p1884, the CEL has been on before for misfires. Weather will be warmer tomorrow, hopefully it will start...

Could it be water frozen in fuel line from 87 gas ?
Hard to say but honestly I would not think so. If you don't have codes though, I think if you get a few things to put in the tank it would help. Maybe just clogged up or dirty injectors + lower octane fuel and the timing set off by the computer to compensate for the lower octane.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Water remover is alcohol, which water sticks to and when used in the gas tank the water sticks to it and then it (the water/gas mix) is burned in the engine, thats how it removes the water.
Your problem is the 87 octane, you need to add as much premium fuel as you can and then try to start the engine, you will then have mid-grade in the gas tank.
As you try and start the engine it will remove the cheap gas from the fuel line and the mix will start to get to the engine.
Remember you get what you pay for when you buy gas, cheap gas is just that, CRAP!
Dont worry about any water in the gas, all gas has ethanol (grain alcohol) in it so the odds of you having any water in the tank is small.
You may have bought a tank of bad gas, it is always best to stick to a single gas station and of a name brand, like Shell or BP for example, but try and use a high volume gas station, meaning one that is always busy as they will have the freshest gas.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, I'll charge my battery (mostly dead from trying to start all day), get some premium, and try again in the morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold weather. Wont Start.