Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to hear you solved it. Also consider replacing the lock pin that will inevitably break if you haven't already. A little time spent on preventive maintenance can avoid a seriously bad time down the road.

The following users liked this post:
meat (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
Glad to hear you solved it. Also consider replacing the lock pin that will inevitably break if you haven't already. A little time spent on preventive maintenance can avoid a seriously bad time down the road.
I've heard the lock pin issue mentioned but haven't looked into it but I will now. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is doing the same thing. The lock just turns as if there is nothing connected to it. The lock eventually stops after turning it so far.I'm sooooo frustrated with this vehicle. I finally get the thiing to run w/o over heating now I can't drive it! Someone mentioned a switch inside the door handle connected that is connected to the alarm. It said when the switch goes bad then the vehicle will not start until the switch has been replaced? Still, why will the lock not engage the locking mechanism?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:07 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call a locksmith.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelrut
Mine is doing the same thing. The lock just turns as if there is nothing connected to it. The lock eventually stops after turning it so far.I'm sooooo frustrated with this vehicle. I finally get the thiing to run w/o over heating now I can't drive it! Someone mentioned a switch inside the door handle connected that is connected to the alarm. It said when the switch goes bad then the vehicle will not start until the switch has been replaced? Still, why will the lock not engage the locking mechanism?
On a DII turning the key in the door lock cylinder does not connect directly to the lock mechanism. The lock cylinder is connected via a shaft to a switch in the door lock actuator, i.e. the electric motor mechanism that actually locks the door. Turning the key in the lock closes a switch to complete a circuit that sends a signal to the BCU (body control unit) to close the actuator circuit and unlock the door. Turning the key quickly a second time signals the BCU to do the same thing for the other four doors. In other words you always need electricity to unlock (or lock) the doors on a DII.

If the key just spins in the door lock cylinder the shaft that connects the cylinder to the switch in the actuator has broken. If the keyless entry fob is missing or not available I know of no way to get in the truck short of breaking a window. I don't see how a locksmith can help because it's not a problem with the lock cylinder. If you end up breaking the driver's window to enter the truck I have a spare I can send you for the cost of shipping, but if I were you I'd instead break a different window to get in the truck. Good luck.

Last edited by mln01; 08-28-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Yelrut (09-03-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

AAA have been able to slim Jim doors open for others, so gaining entry is possible.

once in, pop hood and disconnect the horn relay in the underhood fuse box.

you now need to remove the door panel, and drivers door handle.

stick large Phillips screwdriver into door actuator recess for pin/shaft and turn right to lock, then left to unlock.

Try to start, if not repeat(the lock unlock part in different sequences).

works everytime.

here is a write up on accessing the actuator recess:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...88780856016786

Yelrut (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Problem solved

Originally Posted by abran
AAA have been able to slim Jim doors open for others, so gaining entry is possible.

once in, pop hood and disconnect the horn relay in the underhood fuse box.

you now need to remove the door panel, and drivers door handle.

stick large Phillips screwdriver into door actuator recess for pin/shaft and turn right to lock, then left to unlock.

Try to start, if not repeat(the lock unlock part in different sequences).

works everytime.

here is a write up on accessing the actuator recess:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...88780856016786
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Abran & Min01! Abran you were correct it was a broken lock pin. I was able to get it started and It made me look good in the eyes of my daugher and wife. They were almost as excited as I was....LOL Min01 thank you very much for explaining all that you did and the willingness to give me a part if needed. You two sowed a seed. I like to thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge!
Blessings to you both!
Thank you

Old 09-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

If memory serves our very own Abran sells a improved version of that broken lock mechanism you need

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...ock-pin-82291/

Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Yelrut
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Abran & Min01! Abran you were correct it was a broken lock pin. I was able to get it started and It made me look good in the eyes of my daugher and wife. They were almost as excited as I was....LOL Min01 thank you very much for explaining all that you did and the willingness to give me a part if needed. You two sowed a seed. I like to thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge!
Blessings to you both!
Thank you
you are welcome, as armyrover stated, we sell the improved door pin.

https://carrs4x4.com/collections/dis...etime-warranty