Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condenser Fan

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser Fan

Hey all, I believe my condenser fan is bad, is that normal? I looked in the Rave and its the fan just beneath the front grille. I have read through a couple of threads but nothing describes what I am hearing. It sounds awful. Any ideas on what could be wrong? It just started within the last couple of weeks as the weather warmed up. Does it need to have some kind of maintenance done on it?

Appreciate any advice

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default aux fan

what kind of noise?...maybe a blade is chipped and its out of balance..you can get a new fan from a wreaker...just replace it...and if you are not in FL or AZ i wouldnt let it make you loose sleep..disconnect it and dont get stuck in traffic fo hours you'll be fine. mine had been out for a summer and i ive in florida and mine never overheated...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If the fan is making noise or going bad, stop using your a/c so you don't over heat the engine and get it replaced, ASAP.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

with the truck in the driveway, turn the key on, but don't start it. Turn on the a/c and listen for the noise. If you hear it, replace the fan. If it makes noise when it is running and the a/c is off, you are looking at a water pump or one of your ancilliary drives.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
with the truck in the driveway, turn the key on, but don't start it. Turn on the a/c and listen for the noise. If you hear it, replace the fan. If it makes noise when it is running and the a/c is off, you are looking at a water pump or one of your ancilliary drives.
Alright, did it and its not running until I turn on the A/C. Turn the A/C off and it shuts off. I checked on line, are these fans really around 300 new?

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If the fan is making noise or going bad, stop using your a/c so you don't over heat the engine and get it replaced, ASAP.
Mike, going to be hard not to use it as its pretty warm here now and its my daily driver...any other suggestions until i get it fixed...i will try to find the parts ASAP

Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

watch your temp gauge, the truck should be fine as long as air is moving through the condensor. if your gauge goes up, turn off the A/C for a bit. I would think it should be ok for a week or two. check Ebay for a used fan, it maybe used but it is a WHOLE lot cheaper!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your condenser fan does nothing more than move air for the a/c UNLESS the truck starts to overheat, then it will come on even if the a/c is off.
Yes they are $300 brand new, thats why you either buy a used one or replace the motor.

If you take the fan out you can take the blades off it and get a new motor or maybe even rebuild that one.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Mudding
Default And...its dead

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your condenser fan does nothing more than move air for the a/c UNLESS the truck starts to overheat, then it will come on even if the a/c is off.
Yes they are $300 brand new, thats why you either buy a used one or replace the motor.

If you take the fan out you can take the blades off it and get a new motor or maybe even rebuild that one.
Hey Spike, Fan died today. have been driving with the A/C off but the fan runs anyway, temp gauge doesn't move above normal. When you say "overheat" do you mean it starts to get hot or oh crap my truck is overheating? It smelled something awful before it kicked...so i need to disconnect it but I wanted to know if anyone has a part number for these things? been checking Ebay and online but haven't seen anything.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the fan off and try to cross the numbers on the fan motor. It comes on when you have the a/c on and also works when you are in stop and go traffic as a secondary cooling fan. If it is really hot out, watch your temp gauge.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Now will you stop driving your truck, I don't care how hot it is, do you know what a new engine will cost you? Think about it, I know what I am talking about.
You can look around and find a used fan but do something today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Condenser Fan