Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes, Three Amigos, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakes, Three Amigos, etc.

I have a 2001 Discovery 2 with 120,000 miles on it. My brakes have been going bad over the last month or so and I know at least one, if not two of the calipers is shot. I was planning on ordering pads, rotors, and calipers all around. The three amigos just came on on my truck yesterday. Can this come on when pads wear to far down? Or is there another problem lurking now?

I'm going to order the brake kits today and was planning on going with the Proline front Pad & Rotor Kit, the Proline Rear Pad & Rotor Kit, and Proline Calipers all around - as the original ones are still on the truck and if I'm doing two I might as well do them all. Is Proline a good choice for all of this or does anyone recommend any other option in that price range?

I just want to make sure that these parts are good quality and that the three amigos is just due to worn brakes and will be resolved once I replace all those parts.

Lastly, any out-of-the-ordinary tools I need? I've done brakes before, just thought I'd check. I heard to bleed to Disco 2's you need a programmer to work the brake valves. I also heard engaging the Hill Descent and re-bleeding a few times will work instead? Correct or no?

Thank You

Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Actually thinking about Akebono Pads..Part numbers for the Disco 2?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew0
I have a 2001 Discovery 2 with 120,000 miles on it. My brakes have been going bad over the last month or so and I know at least one, if not two of the calipers is shot. I was planning on ordering pads, rotors, and calipers all around. The three amigos just came on on my truck yesterday. Can this come on when pads wear to far down? Or is there another problem lurking now?

I'm going to order the brake kits today and was planning on going with the Proline front Pad & Rotor Kit, the Proline Rear Pad & Rotor Kit, and Proline Calipers all around - as the original ones are still on the truck and if I'm doing two I might as well do them all. Is Proline a good choice for all of this or does anyone recommend any other option in that price range?

I just want to make sure that these parts are good quality and that the three amigos is just due to worn brakes and will be resolved once I replace all those parts.

Lastly, any out-of-the-ordinary tools I need? I've done brakes before, just thought I'd check. I heard to bleed to Disco 2's you need a programmer to work the brake valves. I also heard engaging the Hill Descent and re-bleeding a few times will work instead? Correct or no?

Thank You
Yes, shot brakes can cause 'les trois Amis.' If you can feel them going bad, then all kids of vibration and scraping could be going on.

I would swap pads and rotors and try and refurb the calipers.

yes, you can 'bleed' the brakes the dirty way you describe. I've never done it, although plenty of people have.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the reply and information!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

akebono euro pads would be a good choice. if you think you need calipers you may want to check advance or autozone One of them sells loaded calipers, with come witch pads and hardware relatively cheap.

Last edited by drowssap; 09-30-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Lucky 8 has great prices on new calipers if you go that route. I have seen rebuilt for $50 a piece, almost worth it just to go rebuilt or new and save some time rebuilding.

If anyone has a cheap tool to bleed brakes I would love to hear about it. I am going to need to do it.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Baja

if you feel a need to power bleed your system; all you need to do is jump out the ABS pump at the relay for 3-4 seconds at a time

Old 09-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling

I did go with the akebono euros all around and ended up going with DBA Golds rotors all around after reading up on them on this forum. I already bought the calipers from RN new for $80, otherwise I probably would have when with those refurbs if I knew before I had already ordered. I'm only doing the front two calipers (the troubled ones) for now to counter the more expensive pads and rotors I went with. When I do the rear calipers in the future I'll definitely look into those refurbs more; thank you for that!

$160 +ship for both new front calipers from RN
$110 for all the Akebono Euros (EUR676 and EUR493) on Amazon
$140 +ship for the front DBA 092 Gold Rotors on EE
$180 with coupon for the rear DBA 093x Gold Rotors on HawkPadsDirect (sold out on EE)
....For anyone who wanted to know

From what I hear the pads and rotors will last a very long time with great results, so I didn't mind spending a little more on them.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Three Wheeling

If my three amigos don't go away as soon as the new brake parts are on I'm guessing I won't be able to bleed the brakes via Hill Decent. So I'll try jumping the ABS Pump if that will work. Any specific procedure or walk-through to doing this?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Baja

you can bleed them the old fashion "pump up/ hold down" it works fine it you have a second person.
All I can say it start bleeding from the further point to the closest. in the US it would be RR, LR, RF, LF.
When you have money you should replace your brake hoses, they are 14 years now and they do get spongy.

Quick Reply: Brakes, Three Amigos, etc.