Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC / locking differential

Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC / locking differential

Hello, new to the disco forum . I have a 1999 disco 2. Several weeks ago I went fishing and went through some mud and got stuck. While I was trying to get the car out, I noticed that one wheel just kept spinning and the other tires did not get any traction. After learning a little more about these discos , I saw that some models have the lock differential, and also I the case of mine, there's no such center lock since its controlled by the TC. Now I was confused as if this is true then why didn't the TC helped give traction to the other Tires? Anyways I have the good ole three amigos , would this condition wouldn't allow the TC to enable ? I did not see a button for the TC, so figured it is interconnected with something else? I'm trying to understand how the system operates. I was thinking I could add a shifter with A lock, and I went to pick n pull and found a disco SD, unfortunately set up is different, so I wanted to know if it's worth doing that , or should I just let the TC do its thing? I would like to understand how it works and what enables the TC to give traction to the other wheels when one is spinning in the air. Thank you .

Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If by having 3Amigoes you mean the ABS , TC , hill descent , light are on , then yes, your TC isn't working, & you have to find out why & fix it,,,
Hook up a scanner & see what it says, could be a minor issue or a major,,
As far as having center diff lock , if your truck is 99 & has original transfer case , it should have it , but maybe missing the linkeage to engage it from cabin, you can check from under truck to make sure it has nipple on top front section of transfer case , and then connect a linkeage to it, if you can find a 04 linkeage it will be very easy hook up, if not you can modify a D1 linkeage to fit to yours (a little harder) or make your own (much harder),
But your truck originally came with locking center diff, I am pretty sure , they had it till middle of 2001, or 2002

Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm still trying to find that elusive nipple. Feel like I'm 14 again.
I have a locking TC by the serial number, but reaching up there… kinda just feels like the top of a transfer case. I had a good feel around the passenger side, but can't really get at the driver's side… not sure really where I'm looking.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
I'm still trying to find that elusive nipple. Feel like I'm 14 again.
I have a locking TC by the serial number, but reaching up there… kinda just feels like the top of a transfer case. I had a good feel around the passenger side, but can't really get at the driver's side… not sure really where I'm looking.
do a google search of images and you will come across a picture that shows you where that stump is. you can get a small 10mm wrench on it and give it a turn to engage the locking mechanism. it will be on the top of the Tcase toward the front. its not very big.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

This is the CDL nipple on the T-Case. I recently had my t-case out to reseal so I have some good pictures of that area.

Name:  NdkjA2P.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  157.1 KB

You can either buy a D1 shifter, a 2004 D2 shifter, or make some type of homemade setup. If you go with a D1 setup try and get the high/low selector housing off the D1 T-case also. The D1 selector has a bend in it to line up with the D1 shifter. If you don't get it then you will have to bend you shifter rod to fit the D2 high/low selector.

Name:  bSdAu7z.jpg
Size:  134.5 KB

Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
This is the CDL nipple on the T-Case. I recently had my t-case out to reseal so I have some good pictures of that area.

You can either buy a D1 shifter, a 2004 D2 shifter, or make some type of homemade setup. If you go with a D1 setup try and get the high/low selector housing off the D1 T-case also. The D1 selector has a bend in it to line up with the D1 shifter. If you don't get it then you will have to bend you shifter rod to fit the D2 high/low selector.

Um, how in the HELLO did you get your transfer case so clean?!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 AM
Winching

Ah."Towards the front". I've looked at a lot of the transfer case images, but they never make any sense when I'm under there. Is that right above where the front driveshaft attaches?
I have a D1 lever. Hate that it's just sitting in the basement.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Winching

I think it's a D1… looks like that one in your bottom photo…

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Is that right above where the front driveshaft attaches?
I have a D1 lever. Hate that it's just sitting in the basement.
Yes. The nipple is on the plate just to the right and above where the front drive shaft attaches.

If your shifter has linkage like his picture, it is from a D1. The 2004 shifter uses a cable to actuate the CDL.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Um, how in the HELLO did you get your transfer case so clean?!
hahaha, I just pulled my T-Case out to reseal it and before I started resealing I went at it with some purple power and an old tooth brush. You can check out the 2 threads I made of the job for more pics and information if you want. I probably posted over 100 pictures of the removal and reseal of the T-Case, Enjoy the Rover ****

-Transfer Case Removal with Pics
-Transfer Case Reseal with Pics

Before and After Photos:

Name:  sArd1Oa.jpg
Size:  249.2 KB

Name:  wGJfISv.jpg
Size:  233.9 KB

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 09-30-2015 at 08:05 AM.