Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuous Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuous Whining Noise

A month ago I purchased a 2001 Discovery SE from Range Rover Encino, CA. Upon the drive home I noticed the vehicle making a continuous whining noise when the accelerator was stepped on. The whining noise was/is so loud that I have to turn up the radio. I took the vehicle back the next morning and the service department told me that the noise I hear is the ACE pump. Everyone that rides in the vehicle asks about the loud whining noise. It doesn't make the noise when I let up off the accelerator.....and the noise seems to get louder when going up any hill. I read some other forums and people are telling me the problem isn't the ACE pump, but a intake hose (?) from the air cleaner (?).....a gentleman wrote that he had the excact same problem as I have and when the hoses were changed he no longer had the continuous whining noise and now greatly enjoys his discovery. I am not enjoying my discovery. I have scheduled another visit to the dealer to check the hoses.........when I first complained about the noise and took it in, they said it is the ACE Pump.....Does the ACE pump make a continuous noise as I have described or only when goin up hills and around corners. I think I am being mislead by the car dealership or at least a service worker who doesn't want to wor to hard.....When the service departments runs a computer diagnostic test......wouldn't a leaking hose come up as a problem?>????? Will someone please help me through this so I too can enjoy my Discovery. Gordon

Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Winching
Default RE: Continuous Whining Noise

The ACE pump will only make noise around hard corners and for short tests around 30 mph. If you are hearing a whine on accel only and it increases with speed, then you have a noisy transfer box or differential(s).

Old 07-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your reply......Therefore is this normal noise from the transfer or differential?......and I should just get use to it ..........or is it fixable and I should ask the dealership to repair it? Thanks, Gordon

Old 07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Winching

If it is objectionable then by all means, ask the dealer to rectify it.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Three Wheeling

I thank you again and I apologize in advance for the following follow-up....But, what do you mean by "objectionable"? Yeah, I find it objectionable, but the dealer may think otherwise. As I said earlier, I took the vehicle back the next morning and service told me it was the ACE pump and just get use to it.

But I have been through this before with a Jeep 5.9. I was told when I purchased it that the vacuum sound I heard was just normal for the 5.9 litre engine, yet when I sold the jeep 3 years later....when the vehicle was inspected by a buyer there was a problem. The day I sold the Jeep it no longer made the sound I experienced for 3 years.......so there you go.

Is a whining transfer case or differential the normal sound? The vehicle came with a 120 point CERTIFIED AUTO.....Therfore should this problem in the transfer case or differential have been corrected before selling? Or will they tell me because the vehicle is a 2001 this is normal sound for its age? I am competely confused, frustrated and truly annoyed by the sound.

I just need someone to tell me that the dealer should fix the problem or someone to tell me the sounds are normal and there is nothing the dealer can do......its just the land rover sound.

Again, I thank you for your assistance. Gordon

Old 07-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Continuous Whining Noise....AND

I also want to add that the whining noise also is noticeable when you start the engine. Just turning the steering wheel to move in or out of the garage there is this whining noise and also stepping on the accelerator going on flat or uphill surfaces.....My first thoughts and I am no mechanic was that is was some type of vaccuum hose sound.......the sound goes away going down hill or when I let up on the accelerator. Thanks Everyone, Gordon

Old 07-16-2005, 04:22 PM
4wd Low

If you are hearing it upon startup then yes, I would say it is a vaccuum/hose issue. I have a slight, although noticeable whinning when driving and it does subside when I let off of the gas, however, it is the driveline, my dealer told me that it was probably the driveline a little out of true, nothing to worry about. When I bought my 2000, it had 29k on it and did it so...I would definately tell the dealer you're not happy and it's not normal...at the very least, make sure they note it and it's on record for later just in case. Do you have, did you get any sort of warranty with it? Being an 01, there may be at the least, some of the factory warranty left. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your comments....I really don't know what to do. As I said in my original message. I took the vehicle back the following day after purchase to have them check the noise. The Sales person also confirmed the noise. BUT, BUT the service department advised that after the mechanics reviewed the vehicle the noise I was hearing was from the ACE Pump.....Everyone I have talked too have advised me that the ACE Pump doesn't whine continuously.....With all of this said, why wouldn't the dealership just tell me the noise is typical transfer noise for a 2001.....why tell me the ACE pump unless they never actually drove the vehicle and have no idea what I am talking about. I have scheduled another service on August 2nd (earliest I can get in) and this time I am going to request to see and actual mechanic and have him go for a ride with me so we can confirm the same sounds. I am just thinking I have purchased a USED lemon and they are trying to avoid the situation. I purchased some type of warranty. The original warranty has expired as I have 55000 miles on the SE.....But each time I take it in I have to pay this $100 fee....???? Maybe I should take it somewhere else, but I am trying to resolve the problem at the place of purchase so they will bear the financial responsibility. Thanks all, Gordon

Old 07-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Rock Crawling

most states have a buyers remorse clause in the purchase of any vehicle. That said took to the owner of the dealer. I would make it clear that this is not acceptible, and if the problem can't be resolved by the dealer. Request a refund. Also contact land rover of north america and complain. Ask to speak to supervisiors if this is not resolve with the rep. Let the owner of the dealership that you are going to talk to the customer service rep. at the company headquarters. The dealerships have to maintain customer satisfaction ratomg to keep their company status. The 120 point inspection should cover anything that comes up. If i am correct the problem is more than likely in the driveline. do not take it to anyone else, make rover take care of it, and insist on a refund of any fees you have incurred. Make a complaint to the chamber of commerence. The dealer is required to responed and to attempt to correct the problem. This may not sound funny, but it is still true. The squeaky the wheel get the grease. Don't let it go. Be the biggest pain in the butt you can, and then continue. Some rover dealers think they have the market on rover problems. There are other dealers, if necessary to have the dealer repair it, have another dealer do the repair. If that is the case then you maybe able to get information from another dealer about what to do to resolve the problem with the original dealer. If you are not comfortable with working on the rover, I recommend starting with minor stuff. oil change, that kind of stuff. Repairs on rovers are not cheap, neither in parts or labor. I have a 96 disco and 130k on it, no major problems. I still think it is one of the best vehicles I have owned. I have had it since 96. If the problem gets straightened out the key to keeping it fun is to keep the maintanence up to date. Fix problems as they occure, and do as much work on the vehicle as you can. It help to know your rover. Remember auto dealers also have to answer to the state they are licensed in. Another place to state your case. Don't let dealers blow you off. Be satified only when you are. I hope this helps. Welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions, there are some smart people here and they will help as much as they can. They have helped me. Take care, Duboff.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Drifting

I don't know that I'd suggest raising hell just yet. I think you've got the right idea of asking around boards like this and asking for a mechanic to ride along with you to check the noise.

I do know Discos have transfer cases which tend to whine but (I believe) that's normally at higher speeds. Mine does that at 65-70mph. I read about someone speaking with someone at LRNA about this and that's normal.

The question is, whether that's the case for you. Bring up the various ideas you've gotten online with the mechanic. Tell him/her you understand it's probably not the ACE pump and it might be a transfer case or diff issue. Basically explain to them why you're concerned. You don't want it to be a problem. If it's a normal noise you'd like to know for sure now before it becomes too much of a problem.

If they blow you off, THEN I'd say drop the gloves.

The Rickster

Quick Reply: Continuous Whining Noise