Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant bleed screw broken, new one wont fit. How to fix leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant bleed screw broken, new one wont fit. How to fix leak?

The bleed screw on the hose that goes over the radiator broke and I bought a new one only to find out that it does not screw in like it should. Its the right part from a land rover part dealer, i think the hose might be busted. Would a silicone adhesive work to keep the screw in place?

Also, the screw pretty much broke in half and I am pretty sure the other half is floating around some where in the coolant hoses. What potential damage could this do and how would I go about finding and removing this?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a map of the cooling system. If it went back toward the engine, it may have settled by gravity to the top of the thermostat. Might stay on top, might get sucked inside during cold start up bypass operation. If carried forward to radiator, would fall to bottom on driver side, unlikely that it could pass through a tube side to side. So to get it out of the radiator, could remove radiator and invert it, draining out what is normally the top hose, while applying reverse flush water from the "lower outlet hose connection". This will also get out some scale and junk in the radiator.

Missing part could also find its way to the water pump maybe. The pump clearance is tight, so might scour or bind up pump. This is probably pretty far out on a limb, compared to other possibilities.

We had a post within the last two weeks with parts list and photos of how to fab your own bleeder T (motivated by same problem). Dirt cheap, compared to dealer price for the assembly.

RTV is a maybe for a temp repair, but it will be a bandaid.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant bleed screw broken, new one wont fit. How to fix leak?-land%252520rover%252520thermostat%252520005.jpg   Coolant bleed screw broken, new one wont fit. How to fix leak?-p1030596.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-25-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

See this post for a DIY write up with pix https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post293862

Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Overlanding

well i attempted to glue the screw back on with silicon adhesive sealant, we'll see how well/long that works. I ordered the t-hose with the new design for the bleeder screw that supposedly doesn't fail as often. paid an arm and a leg with the expedited shipping.

I saw all the posts about how unreliable the bleeder screw is. I wonder if anyone has a piece of that still floating around in the system some where? I think i might just leave it be. I'm not even sure that it's in there.

By the way, what is that second picture of?

Last edited by Evan5291; 01-25-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

A scored water pump.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Where is your bleed screw located, on a black plastic tee or molded onto the hose?
Last I checked, Rover does not sell a replacement screw so I am questioning if the screw you bought is the correct one. BMW sells the correct screw, just need to reuse your old o-ring and you can get the replacement in plastic or brass.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem on my D2! I ordered the full assembly and new hose for both sides! Paid about $180 total installed!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Overlanding

they sell a replacement bleed screw on Rovers North.

I have the hose where the bleed screw is molded into the center of the hose right above the radiator. I just ordered the hose where it is in the plastic joint at the top of the T. apparently the one I have has a high fail rate so they redesigned it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Get rid of that hose, "TODAY", that hose has such a huge failure rate, Rover came out with a up-graded replacement hose 7 years ago to prevent people from over heating and loosing their engine when that hose fails and they all do.
New replacement hose is about $78 and you should replace the t/stat along with flushing out the Dexcool and switching to something like Peak to help your engine.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me as well. Does anyone know the thread size of the coolant bleeder screw on the plastic molded T type ? Thanks !

Quick Reply: Coolant bleed screw broken, new one wont fit. How to fix leak?