Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak, then no Coolant Leak? Any Logical Explaination?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, then no Coolant Leak? Any Logical Explaination?

I have a 2002 LR II SE that had a very slight coolant leak, less than 1 ounce per week. I decided it was time to top up the fluid a couple of weeks ago, mixed up the coolant and water, and then proceeded to drive it around. Thereafter it started leaking a couple of ounces per day and I ceased using the vehicle, letting it sit in my garage. The reservoir coolant tank emptied onto the garage and I got it together to bring it to a local shop, which i'd never been to before, after mixing more coolant and filling. The shop said it was a crack in my radiator and quoted me $1400 to fix it, $2000 if I wanted it that day -- they said it was because of the expense of the radiator. I did a quick search on the Internet and found the OEM radiator for around $300 and told them I would have them do the labor. I then picked up the vehicle. Now, since I have had it back in my garage the thing hasn't leaked a drop! I suppose that it very well could be that there is a crack in my radiator, but the high price quote now has me skeptical about this particular shop and what is going on with my vehicle. Is this common to have a leak and then have it temporarily stop? I suppose it could be the viscosity of the mix of coolant? Thanks for any help!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, it is not supposed to leak for any reason. You need to go have a coolant pressure test done , find the leak and get it repaired before you torch your engine.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike. I plan on getting it fixed but I just wanted to know if what the shop is telling me, cracked radiator, is consistent with having a leak and then not having a leak. If it is, I'll just bring it back to them. If it isn't, I'll try bringing it to another shop. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Winching

If you got your old radiator back I would take it to a radiator shop and have then test it. It's not unusual for a cracked radiator to have a leak that comes and goes. Depending on where the crack is, it could only leak when its hot, or only leak when its cold. The expansion of the material could seal it when its hot, or widen a crack and cause it to leak. If its a dirty shop, it could of just been a leaking hose. They spent a couple minutes tossing on a new screw clamp and tightened it up. Radiator fixed!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by photocrimes
If you got your old radiator back I would take it to a radiator shop and have then test it. It's not unusual for a cracked radiator to have a leak that comes and goes. Depending on where the crack is, it could only leak when its hot, or only leak when its cold. The expansion of the material could seal it when its hot, or widen a crack and cause it to leak. If its a dirty shop, it could of just been a leaking hose. They spent a couple minutes tossing on a new screw clamp and tightened it up. Radiator fixed!
What he said.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
4th Gear

I have a similar issue with my 2002 Disco II.

I joined the site to gain insight to some recent issues that I have been having with chasing down coolant leaks. Various leaks sprang up as the hard plastic expansion tank and tubing under the hood began to crack.

I have been replacing these parts and ordered a few gaskets from roverparts.com - a site that I came across with the help from posts I found here.

The most recent leak sprang up yesterday and seems to be in the front of the engine compartment, somewhere around my pulleys and belts (but it looks to not be from the radiator).

This leak is a bit weird as it is a slight drip ~ a drop every 30 - 40 seconds and occasionally goes away when I have been driving on the highway. But when I sit, idling in "Park" in a parking lot, the flood gate opens up and I see significant loss.

I plan to take it to my local independent LR shop asap for the pressure test, but would appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your water pump is leaking, replace it. You will see a weep hole on the water pump shaft behind the pulley, if you have coolant residue there then that is the smoking gun.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
4th Gear

thanks Bundu!
I took it to the shop yesterday. The mechanic there took one look and confirmed that the issue was the water pump.

He pointed out that the shaft coming from the waterpump was wet. He then gave the fan a little wiggle and showed me that the shaft moved when he touched the fan and explained that if the bearings inside the pump were doing their job, there would be no play in that shaft.

The job was quoted at about $400 with a new water pump quoted at under $200, the labor quoted at about 2 hours and a few liters of antifreeze to fill the system back up.

Sound right?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a new water pump from PT P. T. Schram Rover Repair, Indiana's Finest Land Rover repair service for about $100. It is less than an hour's job to replace the water pump. I'm a DIY guy, no way I would take it to a shop for that.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Winching

Spend the extra money and get a pump with the brass prop in it. Not the cast POS one that comes in the elcheapo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Leak, then no Coolant Leak? Any Logical Explaination?