Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant system

Has anyone changed their antifreeze over to the new green extended life coolant? I did it over a year ago and don't seem to have any problems but my heat doesn't work very well anymore wondering if i should change it back or if the heat issue is possibly something else. Thanks in advance

Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good thing its summer you might try back flushing the heater core and see what comes out of there

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do or have you checked your coolant level before a cold start and is it at or above the seam on the coolant bottle? Have you been having to add coolNT MONTHLY?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM
4wd Low

No my levels are fine, i changed it over when i replaced my radiator and water pump haven't had a leaking problem since

Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Mudding

Mine did the same thing. Bled the air out and all was good.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by JoeLena
Mine did the same thing. Bled the air out and all was good.
How do i go about bleeding the air out of my coolant system?

Old 08-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Mudding

I am sue someone can explain better than I can- but basically you loosen the plastic bleed screw located on the connection where the large radiator hoses come together on top of the fan shroud or covering and at the same time lift the overflow container so it is higher and keep it up til coolant runs out. Then tighen the screw and secure the overflow back down.

Someone else point him in the right direction here please.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I fill it up at the expansion tank, turn the heat on full, start the engine, tilt the coolant bottle up from the back (closest to the spout), work the underneath hose out, and hold the coolant bottle on the battery cover to make it the highest point, then keep adding coolant as air appears (and coolant disappears) from the tank. Do that for maybe 5 minutes, top it off and replace the tank. Drive around some and check it again. It can also help if you have someone holding the RPMs around 1500 to keep the water pump circulating.

I am sure there is a better way to do it but that has always worked for me and I have done it a few times.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, never try to bleed air from the engine which the engine running. Only bleed it when stone cold then recheck it the next day to reset the level as it corrects itself.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Unsnap the expansion tank, & straighten it's hose out like he was saying at first, but with the engine stone cold and turned off. Unscrew the bleeder all the way out. Have some distilled water in a jug ready. Hold that tank up and start pouring in your water til it flows steady out of the bleed hole. Give all of your hoses a squeeze, especially the one going to the heater core. As it still continues to flow steady out of the hole, put your screw back in and screw the cap back on the full tank. Put the tank and hose back in its place without kinking it up. Start and let idle for a while or drive it around with the heater turned all the way up. If you have heat, you are in business and when you come out the next morning after the engine has cooled all the way you may find that the level went down so add more fluid and that should be the last of it. If you still do not have heat though, you have to put more effort into bleeding it so if that's the case, PM a moderator and ask what else you need to do or I can give you a couple tips. Let us know when or if you already got it handled

Quick Reply: Coolant system