Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice Disco II 03 (leak)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice Disco II 03 (leak)

I have got a 2003 Disco with 42K it has been great but in the last 2 weeks i noticed a leak looks to be coming from the seal where the transmission and the transfer case meet. I check thefluid level of the transfer case and it was full i am not sure on how to check the transmission fluid given there is no dip stick for it. I would like to know is there a good way to check the transmission fluid and add more to it and if so where do i add it at. The problem is i am visting family 300 miles from home the leak lookslike it is getting worse i just need to make it home then deal with it.

Any help is much apprecatied,

Jeremiah

Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need some advice Disco II 03 (leak)

You have a fill plug on your transmission. The truck has to be running in gear. Not sure if it needs to be warm....

Old 12-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the fluid red or brown?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Overlanding

Its pretty hard to tell the color but i just went out and ran my finger through it me and my wife both agree it is brown. If that is the case i assume that is the transfer case? Red would be the transmission? If it is the transfer case i would still like to check the transmission fluid just to be sure so the guestion i have is how do i add fluid if it was low? Is it by the radiator where the transmission fluid hoses run?

Thanks for the fast reply and help.

Merry Christmas,

Jeremiah

Old 12-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy

do a search on here for it exactly, but with your truck running, in park and cold, Take out the level plug and you should have a 2MM bead of fluid running out. If not, fill with a lube pump until the fluid just runs out..

Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to start the tranny, put it in park, then reverse twice, then back to park. While the engine is running then pull the fill plug on the side of the tranny, don't let any fluid spill out, just see if it can, if it does, it is full, if it dooesn't come out you need to add some Dextron 3.
It sounds as if you are not very mechanical, if so I would suggest you get a mechanic to inspect it, give you an estimate and get back to us so we can guide you in some direction.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated, Mike i am pretty mechanical, this is the first land rover to own. I have rebuilt several old jeeps and broncos. Then again that was another life 10 to 15 years ago. I did speak with my local land rover service guy he said it was pretty common for the seal between the transmission and the transfer case to go out. He said in most cases it is the transfer case seal not the transmission. No matter what it appears the transfer case is going to have to be dropped the land rover dealership told me $1200 for a complete reseal of the transfer case. It looks like a pretty big pain to drop, either way i will take your advice and check the level of the transmission my main goal is to get home with out causing any damage.

I am thinking about droping the transfer case myself the worry i have is all of the lines & sensor wires connected to it, does the RAVE cd have detailedinstruction on dropping it? I have replaced a transmission on a 2000 z-71 i cantimagine this being much harder that thing it had more sensor & cables connected to it i took picture of everything before iun-hooked anything.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I once had a 95 Explorer that was plagued with transmission problems.

The first thing you should do is clean the area thoroughly and then check back often to make sure that it's actually a leak and not something else (eg: spilled fluids from oil changes, etc.).

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Camel Trophy

I agree with the last post. If your transfer case and transmission aren't leaking, scrub your motor and tranny to see exactly where the leak is coming from.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Overlanding

Thanks guys i did i cleaned it very goodthe land rover itself was in great shape when i bought it no oil anywhere’s on the transfer case or transmission. I did notice when i was changing the oil last week that the cross member had a little bit of fluid across it and the transfer case by the drain plug and fluid all over it and you could see the blow back on the Ebreak. After cleaning all of that off you can see where the transmission and the transfer case meet there is fluid coming out of it, also i ran my hand all over the top of the transfer case and it is all completely dry. I feel pretty confident that the leak is at the transmission and transfer case i just do not know if it is the transmission seal or transfer seal.

Thanks guys,