Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracks in bumper...

Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cracks in bumper...

Last summer I noticed a small crack developing in the plastic partbumper. Well... the past month we have had those days where it starts off under freezing and then gets up into the 50's by 10:00am, and since then crack has gotten much bigger and it bugs the heck out of me.... Now i cant think of any way, other than buying a new bumper (Not happening), that could fix this... Any ideas? I have considered rhino lining my wheel arches (because they are looking rough), maybe I could do the bumper too. Idk how it would look though... anyone have pic of something like that??

Shoot me some ideas!!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Cracks in bumper...

Do you have a pic of the bumper?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No, but I can get on in the morning. The crack is on both corners of the bumper, directly below the headlights. Its one of those little things that shouldnt bother me... but it does.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I understand completly, without knowing how big the crack is it is hard to give any bad advise on how to fix it.

You might beable to fill it in with silicon and then color it with shoe polish or something.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just helped my brother fix a big crack in his sport bike fairing. We took it off and cleaned it good and ruffed it up with coarse sand paper. We then put super glue over the crack about 1/2 wide and then we dumped baking soda on it and pressed it into the glue. It dries almost instanly and is very strong. A guy from Boeing told us about this trick. Saved $200. and you have to look for the crack. Glue does not stick to some plastics very well or at all.You can also plastic weld it.

Willie

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/plasticrepair.html

Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Save the money on the Rhino lining and use the shoe polis on the arches. I just did it about a month ago and they still look perfect.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bcorns/T...10760489992306

As for the bumper, a pic would help for sure, but maybe drilling a small hole right where the crack is growing will stop it. Probably not what you want to do, but it helps glass from cracking more. Did it start from an existing hole like the ones for the headlight washer jets?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Mudding

I had a crack in my bumper and I placed some rubber silicone in and around the crack. Then I colored it black with some touch up paint. It doesn't look great but it did the job for me.

That shoe polish trick looks to be pretty cool. Does anyone know how well it holds up in the rain or snow. I'd be afraid that it would wash off and get everywhere but I may be wrong. Please let us know.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Drifting

I have a bigger crack in my rear bumper. More like 3 cracks from the same point. I was gonna use some silicon to get it back together and then sand the excess down so it is flush with the plastic.

My wheel arches are also looking rough. I saw a product at walmart made either by Mothers or Mcguires that is supposed to bring black plastic parts back to that fresh-from-the-factory black. Anyone try this stuff?

Also, when I had my Cherokee, I was told of and used a little trick with a blow torch that brought the black finish back from that dingy gray. I'm not sure if it would work on the disco but it worked pretty well on the Cherokee. Basically light up the torch, hold it 4-6 inches away from the plastic and just make sweeping passes over the plastic until you get your desired look

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I've heard that Mother's product recommended too. There's no need to worry about the polish running. It doesn't when you apply it to your shoes right? I was told that the polish will last years in pretty much any weather condition.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Three Wheeling

I have been using Mother "Back to Black" on the fender flares they are faded bad and the plastic has become ruff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracks in bumper...