Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The curse of rtv

Old 05-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default The curse of rtv

I've been a big proponent of rtv as a gasket sealer for a few years. I tried The Right Stuff and it works great but it is shockingly hard to get off. I have been told that you can seal your front cover with right stuff then pull the bolts out and it will stay put. Never tried that. RTV is the only thing that gas keep my driveway clean in my 17 years of ownership.

In all of my swapping and changing and fixing lately I grew tired of delays and waiting for new gaskets so I started using rtv exclusively for the front cover and oil pan, and water pump. I've used red, black, gray and blue.

I've been warned about RTV by knowledgeable members. I took that with a grain of salt because they were the same guys who always use torque wrenches and know the RAVE by heart. I'm just a shade tree non mechanic who is fearless of taking things apart. But... They were right about both the rtv and the torque wrenches.

I was having serious oil pressure issues at idle with a new timing cover and new oil pump and when I took it apart, despite my best efforts, I found a huge amount of rtv in the pickup screen. The reason I listed the colors, above, is because I saw them all, in little bits, on the pickup screen. It just doesn't break down... It breaks FREE. This caused problems on the top end of my engine and certainly damaged my new cam and lifters, and possibly other things.

Last week I used an inferior o ring on my pickup tube because that is all I could find locally. When I'd opened it up I found that because of all of the RTV bits, I had about a dime sized opening for oil. I opened it again this week and, with maybe 10 minutes run time, and super careful rtv application (even timing to let it dry to the perfect state before tightening everything down) I again found bits of rtv in the pickup screen, including colors I have not used in months. This despite having my engine completely open and apart several times since that application.

Not acceptable and an engine killer.

Unfortunately, the faces of some of my components are just not perfect, and a little dab of something is almost a necessity. The problem with rtv is that while it does see, the thinner it is, the more likely it is the break free. Also, no matter how thin, it always seems to lush out a little to the inside, and those flaps break off, bit by bit.

I should also add that I have used gasket adhesive on a recommendation. It is nearly impossible to get off if you have a do over. Really. I haven't tried a torch or heat gun (if I could even reach the spots on the front of the engine without removing the engine first) to soften and remove it, but I have tried chemicals and every possible mechanical means including the forbidden razor blade, and ended up having to discard and swap out the parts.

So, on this memorial day weekend when I am dressed in my dirty, stinking mechanic's costume and preparing to get dirty, cut, and probably poisoned by drips of whatever from my engine, the message is to spend the money on The Right Stuff and make sure everything is perfect before you use it or, better yet, use the right gaskets. Rtv has cost me immeasurable time and money. I'm sick of it.

When people, like me, change something unrelated to oil pressure and yet get low pressure, or when they change something major related to oil pressure with new parts and have low pressure, my mind now immediately goes to rtv.

I want people to see this if they search. Rtv Red blue green black gray seal gasket leak deal leaks oil coolant pressure screen clogged pickup.

Best,

Charlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-29-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ever since I read the Rave and learned about blue Hylomar I have loved the stuff. GM even published a tech bulletin about replacing ultra gray RTV with blue Hylomar as the sealant of choice for oil pans designed for sealant (no gasket.)

Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Ever since I read the Rave and learned about blue Hylomar I have loved the stuff. GM even published a tech bulletin about replacing ultra gray RTV with blue Hylomar as the sealant of choice for oil pans designed for sealant (no gasket.)
I will say I have never found blue hylomar anywhere other than where I put it, though I've only used it a few places. It stays tacky. That is very good stuff. Good point, Nick.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-29-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I had penetrating oil drip into my ear while sealing up the exhaust a few weeks ago. Caused a heck of an ear infection.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I had penetrating oil drip into my ear while sealing up the exhaust a few weeks ago. Caused a heck of an ear infection.
Hahaha. Wow! I've had antifreeze in my mouth and eyes, and even freon. Penetrating oil in the ear is a new one!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-29-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

supposedly the LT230 transfer case is also designed for sealant but I ordered the LT230 gasket kit for the Disco1. I just don't feel comfortable using gasket maker on anything, especially now. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Hard to teach new dogs old tricks.

Such as using mfg recommended sealants or doing some self education versus going with the flow.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Black formagasket RTV has always worked for me, apply in a thin layer and allow to skin over before installing , helps is keeping it from breaking off down the road and end up in the oil pan. Jmho

Originally Posted by number9
Hard to teach new dogs old tricks.

Such as using mfg recommended sealants or doing some self education versus going with the flow.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for this. It would make a good PSA for any Rover owner.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for this post... Reminded me to order more Hylomar. I have had two vehicles in the past which showed sporadic low oil pressure - both due to RTV floating around the oil pickup screen due to repairs from past owners. I used to use RTV on cooling components only, but now I won't even touch the stuff. I don't want it in my radiator/heater core either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The curse of rtv