Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire Codes, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Misfire Codes, where to start?

Hey guys, so we took my rover out shopping this morning and while we were going down the main road (35mph) my rover started to shake as if we were going across a rumble strip, it did this for about 5 seconds, then the SES light flashed a few times, and then stayed on. It ran smoothly after that once incident, and has continued to run smoothly ever since. This happened approx 6:00am, and I started it up about noon, and it seems to be running smoothly still.

The codes I pulled up were:
P0132 (pending)- o2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P0301-Cyl 1 Misfire
P0303-Cyl 3 Misfire
P0305-Cyl 5 Misfire
P1300- ?

Anywho, i did some research on some previous threads, and they were told to check the spark plugs for wetness. I checked mine, and they are bone dry, and look completely normal. The plugs were installed in May '09, approximately 14,000 miles ago. Plugs are Autolite double platium. I'm running Magnecor 8mm wires which were installed this summer.

I checked the coolant, oil, etc, everything is full, and appears normal.

Where do I go from here?
Thanks for all your help everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would start looking for a vacuum leak since all your misfires are on one head.
1300 is an emission misfire.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, this is familiar! This is almost exactly my experience! In my case the culprit was the CPK sensor. It is a pain in the a$$, but possible. I got my replacement from BPofU. Just changed mine out - no codes! Be carefully, within a very short period of time the truck was stalling and wouldn't start....

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!
Mike: I'll check all of my lines tomorrow, I did a brief check of them today, and they looked okay, but it was pouring rain, so I was only looking for gaping holes.

Fireman: How long did it take yours to go out? Did it get progressively worse, and then go out?

----Drove it tonight, hot-rodded it @90mph on the acceleration ramp of the highway and she ran like a champ. However, i'm still weary. Checking the vacuum lines tomorrow.----

Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Mudding

Literally, she died within a week. Got my first symptoms on 11/17. After the first set of codes I pretty well stopped driving her and ordered the parts. Monday past (11/22), the parts arrived and I planned to do the swap on Tuesday (off work). Tuesday morning I took her down to Auto Zone to check the battery. While there, she wouldn't restart. Finally got her started and headed home (1.5 miles). Stalled on the way home and I coasted into my driveway. If it is the CPK, she can die at any time. Since I changed the CPK, no codes and no problem starting. Good luck, BPofU is fast and reliable.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman
OMG, this is familiar! This is almost exactly my experience! In my case the culprit was the CPK sensor. It is a pain in the a$$, but possible. I got my replacement from BPofU. Just changed mine out - no codes! Be carefully, within a very short period of time the truck was stalling and wouldn't start....
There is no way a crank sensor can cause all cylinders on one bank to misfire, no way at all.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There is no way a crank sensor can cause all cylinders on one bank to misfire, no way at all.
Mike, you are probably right, there may have been other things going on, but the CPK was definitely involved (at least in my case). However, I was showing misfires on both banks.