Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Bolt Won't Budge.... Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by novadisco2
I would be mighty careful with a torch, in-fact personally I wouldn't resort to it until I had pulled the rest of the bolts, did away with the head on the one in question, and pulled the head off. Even then on the aluminum block with steel sleeves in close proximity, I wouldn't. You will probably find as stated earlier that once the tension on the head of the bolt is relieved by drilling chopping etc. it will probably turn out with as extractor or a good pair of vise grips. Heating aluminum is difficult because one minute its there and hot, and the next its a blob on the floor...... If you really need heat, see if the local tool and equipment rental place or even pay a dent king guy to bring in an inductive heater, heat the bolt only (20-30 seconds on most good inductors should cherry it nicely) quench the bolt and try it, repeat as necessary. Much safer for your block and controlls what gets hot well. I have this one http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=41
Good Luck
Pat
2x what Nova said. There is no point heating while the heads are on as the bolt is stuck in the block. Even once the heads are off, if you heat you are likely to pull the threads right out of the block. You need to be very, VERY careful with heat.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman
2x what Nova said. There is no point heating while the heads are on as the bolt is stuck in the block. Even once the heads are off, if you heat you are likely to pull the threads right out of the block. You need to be very, VERY careful with heat.
You have to be good but it can be done on an aluminum engine, there are gels you can put around the bolt to absorb the excess heat and keep the heat transfer to a minimum. Obviously drilling it would be better if you can get a drill back there, which you can't btw the firewall is in the way maybe at an angle but that is tricky with the recess because you have to go early straight down.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone tried this stuff? Loctite Freeze and Release

I picked up a can at the suggestion of the guys at my local Fastenal after breaking off a bolt extractor in a Grade 8 bolt. Theoretically it causes the bolt to shrink/contract by dropping the temp and then the penetrating oil can lube the threads.

In my case, I didn't need to use it, but maybe it will help someone else who ends up stuck like I was. (At worst, it's probably worth a try...)

Good luck with whatever route you go.