Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defroster/Heated Front Screen (Window)

Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defroster/Heated Front Screen (Window)

This is giving me a heart-burn:

the 04-Disco (2) I have has been to the dealership for about 4-times for ONE LOUSY ISSUE; and every time I have brought my Disco in to have a look at the recurring problem, they just cant CAN'T seem to find the problem. He is still under (the factory 100,000) warranty.

The problem is, and this happens now and then like a typical Disco (I think): the defroster (or heated front screen/window as the manual puts it), just doesn't operate when turned on, although you hear a "wizzzz" where you assume that it is actually running, but I think the vent just closes up... the heat doesn't blow up but you can certainly hear the unit running

Now it doesn't do this ALL the time; just ONLY when I REALLY REALLY NEED IT!

Anyone else has this problem? The dealer hasn't found it so far, and now being winter season is upon us here in the NorthEast (NYC/NY), I could really use some guidance. Much appreciated!

AK

Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Defroster/Heated Front Screen (Window)

So is it the defroster that wont work or the heated windshield that wont work?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Drifting
Exclamation

The defroster doesn't work-- I don't have a heated windscreen. I checked with the dealer and they said I have an aftermarket radio (which is true and I had it on before the adapters for the ipod for the OEM radios came about), and whoever worked on it busted the "blend door motor".

This is evident when I turn on the defroster button, it (sounds) open and feel the hot air blowing against the window, and then after about less than 3-seconds (or so), it shuts off (even hear that sound), and no air is coming thru.

The dealer suggested I get the issue fixed with whoever did the radio (which was CircuitCity in Yonkers, NY), and they are no longer in business-- NO WHAT? I really need some help in this-- please advise.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pull it out and replace the door yourself.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Drifting

easier said than done-- you're the expert my good friend, i'm the rookie... however, i will do the search here and see what comes up; please keep me in mind-- much appreciate your help

AK

Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy

download the manual. Looks like you just pull the glove box and blower and then you can remove the door. Try to find a good one at a salvage or repair what has been broken on your door. Did the dealer give you a high quote for repair?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Drifting

Yeh the bloody dealer wants upwards of 3k, and my insurance won't cover for it since I have the after market radio installed. So I will try to ask around some Rover Repairmen around NYC and see if they can help me out. It's just frustrating and annoying, because today it was pissing rain and could've DEFINITELY used the defroster . Shame that.

AK

Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Camel Trophy

If you have a place to pull it in and some time, I would suggest you print out the pages and look at your truck. You may find that it is really simple.

Then again, I had a blend door break on a hinge in a Chrysler I had. $3K to repair at the dealer. $13 for the new door. I had to drain the a/c, pull the entire dash, and take the system completely apart. Took me a weekend and I had access to a recovery tank. All for a $13 door. It was totally worth it after it was fixed.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Kumar do you have the RAVE manual? see page 1162 and 1163 for how it works and 1172 and 1173 for removal.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Thanks gent-- I will look in to it;

AK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Defroster/Heated Front Screen (Window)