Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my mechanic kill my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did my mechanic kill my engine?

Good afternoon,
I just joined this forum, so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have a 2003 Landrover Discovery 130k miles.
I was experiencing a ticking noise once the engine was warmed up. Not at all times; it was random. I was given a diagnosis by a local mechanic of rocker arms and shafts. I also had the pulleys, tensioner, drive belt and water pump replaced. I had all of the work done and picked it up last week. The mechanic told me he noticed a very subtle noise in the lower engine. I should pay attention to this & if / when it became a loud knocking noise I would need to replace the engine. I wasn't sure what I felt about that because when I was not experiencing the ticking noise, there were absolutely no other noises at all.
I left the shop and about 10 miles down the road, I started getting a crazy noise, much louder than the previous noise. It almost sounded like a metal chain was hitting the hood repeatedly. Then came what I can only describe as a loud gurgling noise, like boiling water. I was uncomfortable about it, so I pulled over. The oil light then came on. I called the shop right up & told them something was terribly wrong & they needed to send a flat bed. Also to reverse the $2500.00 charge to my debit card. The next day, they called me in and showed me my oil pan. It was loaded with metal shavings, some of which were gigantic, bright and shiny (see pic). They say I need a new engine and sent me an estimate of $6000.00 for a used one with 30k miles on it. I feel very strongly that they did something wrong - or didn't do something they should have done that directly caused this to happen.
I was hoping perhaps someone may have some insight. How did they not notice these metal shavings in the pan when they did the other work? Are they even really my trucks shavings? I am not going to have them replace the engine after this experience. I will have it done at another shop. I don't know how to handle the $2500.00 charge they will no doubt want to put back on my debit card before they give me my truck back.
Any input would be appreciated.
JulieDid my mechanic kill my engine?-lr-metal-shavings.jpg

Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Looks like maybe some bearing chunks in there. Did they test oil pressure or change oil pump gear?

Last edited by dusty1; 01-25-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

" bearing chunks "... yep! What a mess.
Please don't put $6000 anywhere near this truck for a used engine. This guy has a starting price on an '03 for that>> 2003 Land Rover discovery ll 4x4 PA SUV very nice

If you need a good mechanic and come to Buffalo, this is the place:

Athol Motor Car http://www.yelp.com/biz/athol-motor-car-buffalo

Last edited by OverRover; 01-25-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:37 PM
7th Gear

Thank you for the input. I wouldn't spend 6k on a used engine. I'm sure that's the "I don't want to do this" price. I will check out the mechanic in Buffalo. I'd flat bed it there. Its all so puzzling to me. The shop posted a pic of my truck during the rocker arm work on Facebook. They didn't finish the work for an entire week after they posted that pic. I honestly think they were in over their heads.
I guess what I'm struggling with - what are the chances that they did the work, I drive 10 miles & now this is what I have? What leg do I have to stand on?
I know the majority of you are very mechanically savvy, & I am not at all.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:38 PM
7th Gear

No they didn't check the oil pump. I flat out asked after seeing some of the posts on here regarding that.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I think it's obvious they screwed up your motor, proving is the hard part.

I would suggest not using any harsh language with them and as amicably as possible tow the car home until you have a game plan.

At the same time call your local better business bureau or if you have AAA go there and ask for advice. Challenge the charge on your card and at least try to get it "held up" while you work on sorting out the issue. Do you know any attorneys? Maybe consult them.

I don't envy your position, I have had to bend over and take it in the past because I didn't have the time, energy, or forensic ability to challenge a garage.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed with Abran, get it towed away from there and work on getting your money back while you decide what route to take in regards to the engine repair/replacement.

Hard to prove what they might've done to cause this, but if it had bad rod bearings when it came in they should've been smart enough not to go and throw a set of rocker arms and shafts at it. Even if you can't prove they caused the issue, they were ignorant to go ahead with the work they did knowing there was a major underlying problem that wasn't going to be resolved (if we pretend the problem wasn't caused by them and was there already, assuming that will be their argument).

Last edited by Kenso; 01-25-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

It would be nice If you got pictures of the metal shavings instead of a picture of a oil pan with metal shavings in it.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Probably just needs a new oil pump if those are pieces of oil pump.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

One of those pieces does look a bit gearish

Quick Reply: Did my mechanic kill my engine?