Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay so let's start with the TPS. I asked my mech if he plugged it in securely and he told me yes he did AND that if not the rover would have shifting issues AND throw a code. Also if that was the issue I would think that the problem would be every time I started it. I have had a coolant leak so I am pretty sensitive to that smell and I am paranoid so I am always checking the level of fluid. That seems to be a non issue. I have smelled everywhere and since if I don't get the gas cap screwed on right I get a check engine light if i had a pressure leak I would think I would get a code. But I have checked and smell no gas anywhere. As for the idle air control valve the problem persisted even when the new one was installed. Like I mean immediately as i started it to check if that was the problem. I am going to put a guage on the rail and take some pressure readings to see what those are. On one thread I read where it might be an electrical issue with the pump priming but it starts and revs then dies so it must prime. The pressure reading will help with that question. I have also done the turn the key and not start it thing. As soon as I get pressures I will let you know what they are.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc McCoy
Okay so let's start with the TPS. I asked my mech if he plugged it in securely and he told me yes he did AND that if not the rover would have shifting issues AND throw a code. Also if that was the issue I would think that the problem would be every time I started it. I have had a coolant leak so I am pretty sensitive to that smell and I am paranoid so I am always checking the level of fluid. That seems to be a non issue. I have smelled everywhere and since if I don't get the gas cap screwed on right I get a check engine light if i had a pressure leak I would think I would get a code. But I have checked and smell no gas anywhere. As for the idle air control valve the problem persisted even when the new one was installed. Like I mean immediately as i started it to check if that was the problem. I am going to put a guage on the rail and take some pressure readings to see what those are. On one thread I read where it might be an electrical issue with the pump priming but it starts and revs then dies so it must prime. The pressure reading will help with that question. I have also done the turn the key and not start it thing. As soon as I get pressures I will let you know what they are.
Mechanic is right. It would shift harshly and at the same rpm, regardless of what you were doing with the gas pedal. So that's not it.

And even if it was blowing oil in the intake, that wouldn't foul an idle air valve immediately so that's not it.

No cookant loss. I'm glad you are eagle eyed on that.

If you don't smell gas anywhere then you probably aren't losing pressure and, if you were, it wouldn't race the engine at startup.

i assume your upper intake is on top of the engine

What the heck?! I thought I'd had every problem you can have with a rover engine. Clearly I haven't. Your list of replaced items, along with your observations above basically eliminate anything I can think of.

Do you have brake pressure? I am grasping here and I mentioned in my last post about inferring that a massive vacuum leak would cause the engine to race after overusing what happened when I had the upper intake off.

I'm at a loss. Someone else?

Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey Charlie I appreciate a second brain thinking. Nothing wrong with going over things I have already done to see if they did the trick. Yeah the brakes are good lol. I did go out and check and thank God that yes the top of the engine is still in place. I hate to say this but I may just take it to the rover dealer just to let them diagnose this. It will be helpful that I have already replaced most of what they would want to replace and charge and arm and a leg. It may be worth while to pay the hundred or so to have them diagnose this. As my mech says we have gotten to the point where we are "chasing a rabbit."

Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Camel Trophy

Hey Charlie I appreciate a second brain thinking. Nothing wrong with going over things I have already done to see if they did the trick. Yeah the brakes are good lol. I did go out and check and thank God that yes the top of the engine is still in place. I hate to say this but I may just take it to the rover dealer just to let them diagnose this. It will be helpful that I have already replaced most of what they would want to replace and charge and arm and a leg. It may be worth while to pay the hundred or so to have them diagnose this. As my mech says we have gotten to the point where we are "chasing a rabbit."
Oh. The dealership. yeah there's always that.

When a real mechanic suggests the dealership the problem is a truly mysterious one, and if you can get the answer for a hundred bucks or so, that's definitely the way to go. But when you find out what it is, please post it here because I can't come up with anything.

This illustrates my principle objection to the Land Rover engine and is the reason my Disco, while running fine (if you ignore seemingly random, occasional, codes) has been kicked to the spot BEHIND a trailer. stripped of insurance, and is being started every few days just to maintain the battery, keep the tires round, and lubricate the engine. It is basically a dishonest engine. With roots as an underpowered, mechanical, stroker, it has had electronics and plastic grafted onto it, and been given a brain, such that it is always expensive to fix, defies intuition, and is finicky and petulant. When I think that I almost understand its complete function, having seen and touched and bought every external and internal part, I still understand nothing, because there is sometimes no clear line of sight between effect and cause.

Ode to simplicity.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

ode to simplicity. Isn't that the truth of it. I have some money coming when the insurance company's quit dicking around about how much my injuries were worth. As much as I do love the rover your statement above says it all. I will bundle the rover with the old explorer and upgrade to something American. I hate to do that but it seems like this is a never ending battle keeping the rover running and for the money that has been spent on keep it running it should run like brand new. Hell for the money I have spent over the years I could have completely rebuilt the explorer engine and all.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy

ode to simplicity. Isn't that the truth of it. I have some money coming when the insurance company's quit dicking around about how much my injuries were worth. As much as I do love the rover your statement above says it all. I will bundle the rover with the old explorer and upgrade to something American. I hate to do that but it seems like this is a never ending battle keeping the rover running and for the money that has been spent on keep it running it should run like brand new. Hell for the money I have spent over the years I could have completely rebuilt the explorer engine and all.
I didn't mean to kick you off high center, Doc. I've had my rover since its birth... 17 years... and I sometimes get tired of it; I'm in that phase now and I regret spilling my funk here. But I did get an American vehicle, too, recently (Ford) and it is a joy to work on, if it ever needs any work. The truth of the matter is that I parked the rover while a group works the final kinks out of a Chevy engine swap, which resolves most of my issues. When they post their results or sell their adapter I'll be dropping the Chevy engine in. For sure. So sure, I've given away two of my engines this year. Just one left.

400+ bucks for a front cover. 75 dollars for new main bolts, BOLTS, 800 dollars for reconditioned heads, 400 for a new brake booster, several hundreds for a full set of hubs, 80 dollars per door for sticky door locks, 50 dollars for used pillar finishers. Add on the fun stuff like fancy bumpers, lifts, lights, etc and it really adds up. Suddenly, having a vehicle that's been paid off since 2003 doesnt seem very cheap, even factoring in the fun and cool factor. Compare the cost of the same items for a Ford or a Chevy and you suddenly feel like a bad steward of family finances. Yet I've got so much money in it, I'd rather put it in the garage than sell it for peanuts.

My rover will be back. I parked it for five years once. I can drive it right now; I just don't want to.

Don't be infected by me, Doc! I'll be over it in a week. Make your own decisions.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Hell Charlie you didn't kick me off anything lol. I am going to call the LR dealer in Asheville and see what their diagnostic rate is. I thought it might be electrical for some reason (although that doesn't make sense since it runs once you get past starting it) so I checked the voltage on the battery and to see if it was charging ok. Both checked out fine. Relays don't go out intermitently (sp).I took it for a ride of 100 miles yesterday including some trails and it ran fine after getting it started. My wife and I went over to Cataloochie to see the elk this morning and just as we got back to Franklin it hiccuped (sp) a few time. I will let you know when I get it looked at.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 AM
Camel Trophy

Hell Charlie you didn't kick me off anything lol. I am going to call the LR dealer in Asheville and see what their diagnostic rate is. I thought it might be electrical for some reason (although that doesn't make sense since it runs once you get past starting it) so I checked the voltage on the battery and to see if it was charging ok. Both checked out fine. Relays don't go out intermitently (sp).I took it for a ride of 100 miles yesterday including some trails and it ran fine after getting it started. My wife and I went over to Cataloochie to see the elk this morning and just as we got back to Franklin it hiccuped (sp) a few time. I will let you know when I get it looked at.
I'll be interested to hear. Good luck!

My guess: "gremlins". You get rid of one and two pop up in its place.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I dropped it off at the LR dealer today. I already feel good since the tech told me LR3's don't have a throttle sensor. I said that is wonderful but I don't have an LR3. I have a discovery II. Ohhhh she says. I gave her a list of what I had done so far. Their usual diagnostic fee is $123 but since we have been chasing this a bit she says "Ill lower the hourly to $80 since it might take 3/4 hours to track down". I said the limit is four hours diagnostic time then stop. Ohhhh she says. Ok. Call me. I am not hopeful lol.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling

So I heard from the LR dealer this morning. They believe they have found the problem. They said they found a vacuum leak and they did a throttle adjustment. When I asked why it only showed the issue at start up in the morning they said it was due to it being cold and that there are two "loops" in the system. A closed loop and an open loop. They said once it got warmed up and operated on that loop (sorry don't know which one they said lol) that the engine was able to compensate for that. They are going to keep if for a few days and start it in the morning to see. Will keep you posted

Quick Reply: Dies