Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise when letting off the accelerator. Really need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise when letting off the accelerator. Really need some help!

I just bought a 2000 Discovery 2, with 212000 miles. So far I've done an oil change, topped off the diffs with 85w/90 gear oil, and have fixed a few leaks here and there. I also have lubed up the grease fittings on the drive shafts underneath. All things considered, it runs pretty good. The big issue with my "new" Discovery, is that when I let off the accelerator I get a pretty loud whine that sounds like it's coming from under the center console. When my foot is on the accelerator, it's as quiet as can be. It doesn't slip when it shifts gears, nor is it noisy or clunky. Just whines when I let off the gas.

I have yet to inspect the tranny for proper fluid levels, as I have stopped driving it until my new filter kit is here and I can flush the tranny and put some heavy weight gear oil in. I did notice that if I put the transfer case selector in neutral and put the gear selector in D, I can here a noise like something is spinning somewhere. Not sure if that's normal, but I recall reading that this was not good. I am a noob when it comes to Land Rovers, so I really need some input on what the heck is going on here. When I am cruising down the road, the whine is almost imperceptible, but as soon as I decelerate the louder whine is back. If I put the drive selector in neutral while it's whining, the sound goes almost totally away.

What's odd, is that in the mornings when I leave for work, it stays quiet for probably 5-10 minutes, then after that it will start to whine. Can someone please help me? I just got my Disco and I love it, but I gotta know what to do about this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Before you go crazy, check the tranny fluid level.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Drifting

With my work schedule, I won't be able to do that until Wednesday or Thursday unfortunately, but I'm chomping at the bit to see what the fluid level is, and how much metal is on the drain plug. I've heard that you can get a loud whine if the transmission filter is old and clogged as well so hopefully that's all it is. Is the noise with the TC selector in N and the drive selector in D normal, or does that signify trouble??

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DISCO JAK
I've heard that you can get a loud whine if the transmission filter is old and clogged as well so hopefully that's all it is.
I also know for a fact that if a transmission service has never been performed in an extremely long time, when you do flush out the old fluid, you will flush whatever clutch material was left and you will be putting a new transmission in your vehicle.

Originally Posted by DISCO JAK
Is the noise with the TC selector in N and the drive selector in D normal, or does that signify trouble??
Wait, what? Don't you mean the other way around?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Drifting

Sorry. Meant to say when I move the selector from 4H to N and have the selector in drive I can hear a noise like something is spinning.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench

So you are moving the shifter for the tranfser case.
Are you sure you refilled the level in the tranfercase correctly?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Drifting

I've yet to check any fluids besides the diffs and oil due to working 16 be shifts so I stopped driving it. I am new to 4x4s so checking what needs to be checked is kind of confusing. So I will check the transmission fluid Thursday if my filter kit gets here. Does the transfer case have fluid that needs to be checked as well, or no? Like I said, I'm new to 4wd vehicles.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yes tc case needs attention. drain plug is on bottom. fill plug is at rear hiding behind a wire loom at the e-brake drum. a little hand transfer pump is very useful in fluid exchanges.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Just climbed under and think I saw the drain plug. I'm assuming its the recessed one that looks like a square cutout?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Found the fill plug for the t case. It was a qt and a half low. Tranny fluid was ok, but the whine is still present. Only thing I know to do is change the tranny fluid and filter and see if that helps. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Whining noise when letting off the accelerator. Really need some help!