Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Door Lock Actuator Replacement Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Door Lock Actuator Replacement Tips

I just replaced my first driver side rear door lock actuator. Some lessons learned the hard way:
-Rave manual doesn't mention you must remove the window frame to get the old lock out.
-Remove window & frame per Rave procedure first, then disconnect links & power connector, remove old lock, install new lock, reconnect links and connector, then re-install window and frame. It is extremely difficult to try and reconnect linkages with window frame in place.
-Do not mess with regulator or window motor, just loosen bolts that connect window glass to regulator.
-Support glass from top of frame with duct tape. It is not necessary to completely remove frame, just raise enough to open up space to remove / install lock actuator.
Hope this helps someone

2002 Discovery II, 80K

Old 07-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote to pay a shop on this one... i was gonna do my passenger side last week and it suddenly started working......after i read what i was going to have to do with the window frame...i passed on it..... lol i hope it stays working...

i'd rather replace the door completly

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
6th Gear

It's not as difficult as Rave would have you think. Lower window to align bolts with access holes so regulator can be disconnected from window. Loosen 2 bolts, move slide slightly to disconnect glass from regulator. Raise glass to top of frame and secure in place with duct tape over the top of frame. Remove 6 bolts that secure frame to door (5 around sides of door, one through acess hole below center pillar), pry inner and outer glass water seals up and out with screw driver, pull frame and glass about 6 inches straight up and place something between bottom of window and middle part of door to keep frame raised. R & R actuator per Rave. Repeat above in reverse order. It took me several hours the first time, I could probably do it again in less than an hour. It helps to know the complete procedure.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips, I've been reluctant to order replacements because I don't want to cause more damage, but I may give it a try. Where did you buy the replacement actuator?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 PM
6th Gear

New actuator, P/N- FQM-100710, Coventry West, Lithonia, GA. 770-484-6500, 800-331-2193, $142.46 plus $10.34 S&H

Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you, this is now in the write up section.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I do, remove door panel, remove the bolts to the door frame, lower the window a third and raise the frame high enough to clear the actuator. stuff the rags underneath the actuator rod that holds it to the handle. Otherwise if it falls out it will slide down the door and its near impossible to get out. Take out the actuator and remove the cable outside the door. Install opposite way. Real easy until you drop the rod. And remember to line up the door correctly.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C130Driver
I just replaced my first driver side rear door lock actuator. Some lessons learned the hard way:
-Rave manual doesn't mention you must remove the window frame to get the old lock out.
-Remove window & frame per Rave procedure first, then disconnect links & power connector, remove old lock, install new lock, reconnect links and connector, then re-install window and frame. It is extremely difficult to try and reconnect linkages with window frame in place.
-Do not mess with regulator or window motor, just loosen bolts that connect window glass to regulator.
-Support glass from top of frame with duct tape. It is not necessary to completely remove frame, just raise enough to open up space to remove / install lock actuator.
Hope this helps someone

2002 Discovery II, 80K
We all know RAVE isn't perfect. But if you want credibility for your "tips" then put out the correct info. RAVE DOES say to remove the door glass and frame.

1. Remove rear door frame.
+DOORS, REPAIRS, Glass - front or
rear door.

Page 76-1-10 or 815 rear door
or
Page 76-1-9 or 814 front door

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
4wd Low
Default Door Lock Actuator Tips DII 2003

I just replaced my passenger side front actuator using these tips and had great success. Although, I did not see any mention of removing the rear view mirror except for in the RAVE manual. It is necessary to do this. Also, I chose to remove the door handle, because I was unsure as to how the latch disconnected from the actuator. I had to unscrew the rod from the piece attached to the actuator in order to turn it the quarter turn necessary for removal. RAVE gives little detail and implies it is a quick and easy disconnect, which it could easily be broken if forced. Thanks for the thorough info here.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Drifting

I posted the following on another thread to ask for help... now I see my situation is much closer to some of you had gone through.. Please advise!

Below is what I asked:
>>>>

My 2003 D2 passenger side lock won't operate by key or the internal button. But ok by manually push the sill button down and manually open from inside. Reading everyone's posts, it seems I had the issue of defect actuator unit (most like a bad motor...). Last week, the window regulator broken…, so I began the efforts to check both.
Following another wonderful posts on this site, I removed the door panel, window motor/regulator unit, it was indeed the bad regulator (one of the plastic roller broken)… so that was clear.
Then I started the efforts of removing the latch & motor assembly (the actuator unit)...
The Rover manual lists the following steps:

1. Remove front door frame.
2. Release exterior handle control rod from latch.
3. Release and disconnect sill button lock rod from latch.
4. Disconnect multiplug from motor.
5. Remove 3 Torx screws securing latch andmotor assembly to door.
6. Remove latch and motor assembly throughaperture in the lower section of the door.
7. Disconnect release cable from latch andremove latch and motor assembly.

Read the post here for D2 there was no need to remove the door frame…so no further action taken for Step 1 since door frame, regulator are all out; I did Step 2, 4, 5; Step 6, 7 seemed straight forward. But I couldn’t figure out how to do Step 3 “Release and disconnect sill button lock rod from latch”.
Do I need to take the door frame out? And how to do Step 3 ‘release and disconnect sill button lock rod from latch”?
Attached is the figure from Rover manual for the steps, and a picture of the door now. Appreciate your help!!!
>>>>

Quick Reply: Disco II Door Lock Actuator Replacement Tips