Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II engine install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco II engine install

Hi

I have a 99 disco II with a blown motor so I am in the final stages of installing a motor out of a 98 disco I... problem seems to be the engine is sitting to high now?
Need some advice here...are the motors not the same? Also for installing the converter bolts do I need to remove the engine mounts and drop the motor again to reinstall them?

Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have never had my transmission out in my Rover. Every one I've ever done has some kind if access to the converter bolts. There's no obvious cover you can remove? There's got to be something.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I did not remove the transmission, only the motor. There are two plugs on each side of the transmission to access the flywheel and converter bolts....maybe a couples of inches large.
The motor is bolted up all around the bellhousing. But I'm thinking that the two motors may be a bit different from each other or the motor-mount brackets on the frame are different.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't know about the mounts. I would think the engines would be the same. Mine is a later model and I don't know much about the older ones. You could try looking up the mounts on a parts website and see if they're the same.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Three Wheeling

According to RockAuto and comparing the old mounts vs the ones from the parts truck they are the same. Not sure whats wrong, just that the engine seems to be contacting the hood when trying to close it.
So far the wiring is identical except one sensor near the water pump.

Oh that reminds me...there is two greens wires, one each from the o2 sensor harness on each side...Anyone know where these bolt on to?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Mounting should be the same, but does the D1 engine have a place to mount the crank position sensor? I honestly don't know off the top of my head.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

different intake plenum?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

The gems and the boshe have different Ckps mount and the knock sensors are also a different style. Both can be worked around

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Mounting should be the same, but does the D1 engine have a place to mount the crank position sensor? I honestly don't know off the top of my head.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Three Wheeling

All the sensors seem to be the same with only a sensor on the timing cover being slightly different.

But I'm about ready to give up and scrap this thing. Still have no idea what the two green wires are for and now I have to replace the timing cover. I have tomorrow left to get it running and to the garage for a safety inspection or not at all.
I cracked the timing cover tonight installing a line from the rad to just beside the oil filter. I'm going to use the cover from the blown motor and some silicon sealer in place of the gasket.
If I can't get it running tomorrow and brakes done it's off the to scrap yard.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't want to tell you what to do, but sometimes you have to slow down to go fast. When you try to get things done fast, you can make mistakes. Then those mistakes cost you more time and money. We've all been there. So I don't mean to sound like a jerk, which is probably the last thing you need when you're frustrated.
When I find myself doing more harm than good, I take a step back and try to relax. Maybe take the rest of the night off. Then when you go back to it, you can try to look at it in a different way. Most of the time it makes things go smoother.
I hope you get through it. It's always worth it when you get to drive it again!

Quick Reply: Disco II engine install