Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II engine install

Old 07-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Patterson
I hope so...I am not looking forward to accessing those upper bellhousing bolts again lol.

On a good note..it fired right up today, no hesitation or anything...just installed the plug wires and it started right away. Not bad for a motor that's been sitting a few years. But that found a leak in the line going to the tranny cooler that took some creative tinkering to solve.
So tomorrow I'm going to try and install the tranny cable if it fits from my '98 parts truck and see if it goes into gear. Brakes are next and finding out what is causing the transfer care linkage to not move.
That brings on another question....I have read that the 98 model should have a center locking diff?? How can I tell if it does or not?
If it is the case that was originally on the truck then it will be there. It's activated by a spigot/stud located on top of the front output housing. Pages 526-540 of RAVE workshop manual will give you a better idea.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you for the reference...it does appear to have the center locking diff.

I think I should have named this thread something else lol.
The cable from the parts truck is no good....twisted and broken. So I might be at the end of my disco journey as the only one I can find online is close to $400.00. But I will see what I can come up with tomorrow on how to fix it

Old 07-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

So I might be at the end of my disco journey as the only one I can find online is close to $400.00.
45 bucks for one here:
Land Rover Discovery 2 Transmission Shifter Box w Handle **** Shift 99 04 | eBay

Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by number9
Great deal but he does not ship to Canada. To many ebayers are against shipping anything to Canada.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Patterson
Great deal but he does not ship to Canada. To many ebayers are against shipping anything to Canada.
You could try sending a message to the seller. It doesn't always work, but sometimes you can get them to make an exception. A lot of sellers just don't want lots of the paperwork and hassle that comes with shipping internationally.
I'd say it's worth a try. You've come this far!

Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Tried that and they said they will not ship to Canada...but I did find some who will, but not in the time I need it by and not that I can afford. So....

Those without make do with what they have

A bit of die work

This attempt did not work...brass tubing bent and broke off

found some thick wall brake tubing that I was able to tap and install. Not sure how long it will last but for now its working.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Nice work! Did you finally get to drive it?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Nice work! Did you finally get to drive it?
Not yet...now have to get the brakes working. Need to install new rotors and pads and then bleed the system. Everything is a rusted mess as far as the lines go but will do what I can. If I can get the brakes working then I can finally move it and see if the transmission will work and bylaw will also be a bit happier and maybe will get off my case about it sitting there two months after the move it or they will tow it deadline.

Some other things I need to finish ...splicing the wiring harness together for the washer pumps and converting from airbags in the back to coil springs and seeing if I can refit the power seats from the 98 parts truck into this one. Oh and install the front bumper. But one thing at a time....brakes are next.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like you're making good progress on it! Hopefully everything is good with the transmission after all that!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm loving this thread! Robert you are creative and scrappy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disco II engine install