Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II fan exploded -- need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with the repair and your are welcome for the help. I made some edits to my parts list above I don't know if you saw them or not.

Download the RAVE repair guide if you have not already. It has all the step-by-step instructions you will ever need to repair your Rover.

Please do yourself a favor and buy the Genuine 180 T-Stat. It's only $30 more and it's worth it.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
Jared and everyone else, thank you! Oil filter and rotella is on the way from amazon. I will fire it up and see what happens. I will definitely order the right parts if the thing can be fixed.
Be sure that nobody has their head or body anywhere near any of that when it's running, more parts of that fan may fly off.

Also check your motor mounts. your's may be broken!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a known good Fan & Clutch, $60 shipped.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Be sure that nobody has their head or body anywhere near any of that when it's running, more parts of that fan may fly off.

Also check your motor mounts. your's may be broken!
thanks for the warning, but I was absolutely going to stay away from the engine when trying to crank it.

This is the second mention of motor mounts. These are what the engine bolts to on the chassis right? How does one check if they are broken? Visual inspection? If they are broken, I'm guessing you have to lift the engine to replace them?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
I have a known good Fan & Clutch, $60 shipped.
Thanks dusty. Assuming the car runs this weekend when I change the oil, I will take you up on that.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks for the warning, but I was absolutely going to stay away from the engine when trying to crank it.

This is the second mention of motor mounts. These are what the engine bolts to on the chassis right? How does one check if they are broken? Visual inspection? If they are broken, I'm guessing you have to lift the engine to replace them?
Yes that's what connects the motor to the frame. made of a big rubber blocks with bolts. One on each side right beside the oil pan.
Put a jack under the oil pan with blocks of wood on it and slowly and gently lift the engine a little to see if the mounts separate. you will have to lift the engine enough to take the weight completely off of the mounts before you will be able to see if they are broken but, not so much that you break them if they are not already broken.
Yes you have to lift the engine a little to put them in, first see if they are broken and if so we'll help you put the new ones in.
Watch your fingers in there around all of that.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 08-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks dusty. Assuming the car runs this weekend when I change the oil, I will take you up on that.
Please don't spend over a $1,000 on new parts only to put a used fan back in there. Have you already forgotten how much damage just occurred from your old fan?

Why in the world would you risk doing this all over aging to save a few bucks on a used fan? You really have no idea what condition the used fan he has is in. I've had plenty of people on criagslist tell me there Disco was in excellent condition, but when I show up it's clear that our definition of excellent is way different.

I don't mind buying some parts used. Old plastic parts that spin at 3k RPM and can stop you dead on the road if they fail, are not something your want to buy used. Spend a little now or a lot later.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

access your damage and contact Paul grant and get as many used parts as possible from him. he probably has 3 of everything you need I see your in boston if you need a hand drop me a line.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220

Why in the world would you risk doing this all over aging to save a few bucks on a used fan? You really have no idea what condition the used fan he has is in. I've had plenty of people on criagslist tell me there Disco was in excellent condition, but when I show up it's clear that our definition of excellent is way different.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not selling **** parts here. I'd be happy to provide pictures beforehand, and would issue a full refund if the parts were not in the condition I claimed them to be. This particular fan/clutch was pulled off of a really nice Disco 2, where I also got a good CDL and a prop shaft, and various interior goodies.

Last edited by DustyLBottoms; 08-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Mudding

I got a chance to assess the damage a little more. Some observations:

1- Radiator seems unharmed and is Nissen brand and looks relatively new. I'm going to try to stick to it and not replace.
2- There is no play in the water pump shaft. If I take off the belt and it spins freely, does it really need to be replaced?
3- The fan took out my top part of the airbox, maf and also the connector tube from the maf to the intake, so a few more parts I need.
4- (this one bugs me the most). The maf connector is toast and one of the wires is severed. If I can get my hands on a used maf connector, could I simply splice and solder (i'm good at that)? If I have to change the whole wire, it seems like it goes into the bowels of the engine and that it will be a big job to disassemble.

Quick Reply: Disco II fan exploded -- need some help