Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II wont start unless I push on the gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II wont start unless I push on the gas pedal

Hello,

Anybody know what this could be? My disco II wont start unless I step on the gas pedal as I turn the key. After that, it runs fine, and does not stall.

If I turn the truck off, and start it within 2 minutes, it starts fine. If I try to start it after about 5 minutes, it wont start unless I give it some gas again.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need to depress the gas pedal to the floor (Wide open throttle)? Or just feather it?
Many vehicles (I don't know about LR without checking RAVE) have a "clear flood" mode which will shut off the injectors if you go to Wide Open Throttle when the key is in the Start position. Maybe you have a leaking injector? Do you get black smoke on start-up (rich)?
If you have to feather the pedal it could indicate a bad temp sensor (computer thinks it's warm, not enough fuel).

Old 01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling

I didn't have any codes, but needed to pump the gas twice to get it to start. Very similar to your situation. Fixed by replacing my fuel pump. Internal to the tank.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by thospb
Do you need to depress the gas pedal to the floor (Wide open throttle)? Or just feather it?
Many vehicles (I don't know about LR without checking RAVE) have a "clear flood" mode which will shut off the injectors if you go to Wide Open Throttle when the key is in the Start position. Maybe you have a leaking injector? Do you get black smoke on start-up (rich)?
If you have to feather the pedal it could indicate a bad temp sensor (computer thinks it's warm, not enough fuel).
I am feathering it. I have no black smoke. I guess I will have to look into the temp sensor.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by texmbr
I didn't have any codes, but needed to pump the gas twice to get it to start. Very similar to your situation. Fixed by replacing my fuel pump. Internal to the tank.
After you got it started, it ran ok also? I was assuming it was a bad or clogged fuel pump, but if its the fuel pump, wouldn't I see some hesitation or stalling while driving around?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Winching

Silly question but when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? If it were your fuel pump the truck would not run. Maybe it's just a bad/clogged filter? When you turn the truck off perhaps the filter blocks the fuel since the pump is off. So when you turn the key and pump the gas the pump turns back on and pushes thru the crappy filter allowing enough gas to start the truck?

Last edited by sloan74; 01-24-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
Silly question but when was the last time you changed the fuel filter? If it were your fuel pump the truck would not run. Maybe it's just a bad/clogged filter? When you turn the truck off perhaps the filter blocks the fuel since the pump is off. So when you turn the key and pump the gas the pump turns back on and pushes thru the crappy filter allowing enough gas to start the truck?
no fuel filter on DIIs

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Winching

then that is definitely not it!
haha

"there is a small screen at the bottom of the pump pickup that acts as a filter,If you feel this is clogged you can remove the pump by pulling up the rear cargo area carpet then just use break cleaner to clean the screen."

might be worth a look? does not sound too complex. I know to get to the fuel pump in my old ford ranger it was a pain in the ***....I had to remove the truck bed for crying out loud. lol

Last edited by sloan74; 01-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Message sent sloan74. One thing you may want to do before investing in a new pump is have your fuel pressure tested. I had a shop test mine simply because I don't have the tools. The hook up a gauge a the rear of the fuel rail and see it it bleeds down or holds pressure. I was loosing pressure at the pump. It is located in the cargo area under the carpet and held in by a large twist type ring. Search for "fuel pump replacement" and there are some treads ect with pics and procedure. Like yours mine ran fine after getting it started. One senior member DiscoMike really helped me. Also try this. Pressing the gas really has no affect. Turn your key on to 3rd position..don't try and start...turn back to 2nd position..then back to 3rd and wait a few seconds before trying to start. The start. Gives time for the system to pressurize. Our trucks are fuel injected so pressing the gas no effect like if you do that to a truck with a carburetor.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 AM
4wd Low

Ok, got another pump, installed it, and so far so good. Truck is starting fine. The real test will be tomorrow morning.

One thing that went wrong though, they sent me a pump without sai, when I ordered one with sai. I really didn't want to send the part back and get the right one, so i drilled out a hole for the sai part and installed it. The seal on that is tight, but not air tight.

Does anyone think this will be an issue, or should I seal it up with some silicon?

Quick Reply: Disco II wont start unless I push on the gas pedal