Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco TD5 Misfire/Cut-out - New TD5 Owner - Please Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco TD5 Misfire/Cut-out - New TD5 Owner - Please Help?!

Hello

I've owned 300Tdi landrovers before, but have just bought my first TD5 discovery - a 2001 adventurer edition with 121k on the clock.

When i first picked it up, i noticed a 'misfire' when the engine gets to 2500-3000rpm or when under load/going up hill. When stationary the engine happily revs past this mark with no sign of any misfire.

A quick search on the internet gives rise to the usual suspects - stuck turbo wastegate and oil in the injector wiring loom.

First - checked the turbo waste gate, its free and no apparent issues.

Wiring socket on the front left handside of the engine under the cover, when removed reveals a heavy amount of oil in the plug and socket which instantly seemed to me to point toward oil in the wiring loom - which is now apparent is a common problem with these engines?

Local independant who sold it to me - knew straight away and offered to order the part and have it replaced for me without seeing it - makes me think they knew all along it needed doing!

Has been perfectly driveable whilst waiting for the part to arrive until today. Crusing at 60mph on the motorway for about 15 minutes and then the engine cut out completely. Pulled over and could not restart the engine. After a while it started again and ran for a short distance (10 mins) and then cut out again. This time, it DID restart fine but ran rough and below the idle level whilst belching out a load of thick black smoke and when the accelarator was pressed, the engine didn't respond. Turned off, and again after a short while, engine started as normal.

My question is - is the cutting out related to the misfire and the oil in the loom?

Its currently in the garage having the loom replaced and any traces of oil removed - what im worried about though that there is something else? Does this oiley loom fit with the symptoms?

Please help if you can - ive got no experience with the TD5 engine and am anxiously worrying that perhaps I should have stuck with my 300Tdi?

Many Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the wire harness is soaked with oil it very well could be the cause of your problem.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks Spike. Garage has just called to say the intercooler hose has collapsed also - does this sound right do you think in terms of the symptoms?

Thanks again,
Paul

Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

collapsed intercooler hoses are also common, and will give similar symptoms.

Just a small point, the guys here are VERY helpful, pleasant and its a great forum, BUT.........they dont have TD5's, they are all 8 pot thirsty boys (V8') as the diesels never made the USA.

So, I would suggest join a UK based forum, don't leave here offcourse because there is plenty of other info etc and the guys here are great, its just a UK based forum would be more relevant to you, well especially your engine.

Heres a "new" good one to start with

The D2 Boys Club. - Index page

Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
BUT.........they dont have TD5's, they are all 8 pot thirsty boys (V8') as the diesels never made the USA.
Thanks for reminding us of our "red-headed step child" status here in the states when it comes to "er-diesel??"

We can only dream...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
collapsed intercooler hoses are also common, and will give similar symptoms.

Just a small point, the guys here are VERY helpful, pleasant and its a great forum, BUT.........they dont have TD5's, they are all 8 pot thirsty boys (V8') as the diesels never made the USA.

So, I would suggest join a UK based forum, don't leave here offcourse because there is plenty of other info etc and the guys here are great, its just a UK based forum would be more relevant to you, well especially your engine.

Heres a "new" good one to start with

The D2 Boys Club. - Index page

What he said, we are trying to learn, but its hard with no on hands experience.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we don't like yer kind around here boy! with your fancy TD5s and fancy book learn'n...go hang out with your own kind!

LandyZone - Land Rover Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 05:56 AM

I have (and am selling) a TD5 which had a similar problem, turned out to be a bad joint on the fuel inlet pipe to the fuel heater from the filter. Sorted that and no problems for the last 2 years.