Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco transfer case or linkage problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco transfer case or linkage problems?

Well, I am happy I found this site..I would love some input on some issues I am having..to warn you all..I am a female..I am not a total idiot..do have a bit of common sense..
I just purchased a 1995 disco
the previous owners said" she was driving down the highway and it made a clunk..she pulled over and when she went to drive it made a whining noise"..so she had it towed..they thought it was the transmission...

SO...what we have done...

tranny is fine, shifts with no problems(it's an AT) checked the transfer case oil and they was barely any in it...so we drained the little bit there was (we're talking spoonfuls) and added new fluid..
noise still there...

the shifter for the locking the 4 high and low..well it wouldn't move at all before..I started to mess with it and did get it..so it moves from left to right..neutral..not sure how but I got it into locked(little yellow light came on) I was able to move the shifter around some but really not able to notice it going into L...I did it all right by being in N ..so now the yellow locked light is still on...I can't get it out...it still makes the whining noise..
the whining gets louder the faster you go..or maybe higher pitched..you can feel the noise almost in that shifter..it shakes and vibrates..I really can't tell if it's in 4 or not?? I drove around in circles in our backyard and it didn't feel like it was in 4 wheel...

I have been told a few different things..linkage. needs lube, transfer case...

My husband is somewhat mechanical..he has put an engine in his toyota in the past and can do alot of repairs..

I am wondering how t figure out the shifter H and L to see if it's working? How do I know if it's a linkage problem or a transfer case problem?? Also..when I let off the gas they whine turns into a very faint spinning type sound..you can tell somethings going on.
o

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts..I am planning on keeping my disco regardless of all the time, money and sanity I will lose!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Default RE: disco transfer case or linkage problems?

You should not do any highway or street driving with the transfer case shifter in either of the two left "locked" positions (High and low range). It is a classic symptom that this little shifter freezes up from not being used. You just have to keep playing with it, keep trying to shift it thru all 4 positions and it normally will eventually unfreeze itself. Just keep at it. Normal street driving is with the little shifter in "unlocked high" which is the lower right position of the H pattern. Worn transfer case gears whine. Fact of life. It will still work just fine. Don't drive your truck on the street if you have your little shifter in either of the left 2 positions of the H pattern (The left 2 legs of the H, up or down). It will cause undue stress on the whole drive train.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your t-case is toast. If there was that little lube in it and it was driven, well, it self destructed. Sorry.
And now all the gears are shot and nothing you can do will fix it until you put in a new t-case.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
5th Gear

that is what I thought...I just wanted some other thoughts in case I was wrong..
I was thrown off when the shifter wouldn't budge..I thought...maybe maybe...it could just be the linkage...and then today when I got it un stuck for a short time..now it's locked in and I don't know if it's locked in H or L and I can't get it out..I am now deciding if I should buy a used transfer case or have this one rebuilt..

I may also have two problems..maybe with the four wheel drive and with the trans case..hard to say..I am going to take it in tomorrow, I met with 4 different people today..some know what they're doing..others you can tell don't..I am a little nervous I really didn't think I should drive it at all but I have drove it test driving it around the block when we have been working onit. the shop told me that as long as we put more oil in the trans case it should be ok to drive(I am driving about 5 miles) I just think I am going to take the back way and not go over 20 MPH...they said it pretty much needs to go on a lift to see if the 4 wheel drive is working or what and to check it out..

I really appreciate peoples input..didn't want to spend a much of cash then have it be something else..I will have more issues to discuss on this site..sunroof issue....rear door sags a little...one thing at a time..I will have to post what ended up being wrong with it..

Blonde question..what is a differental? And apparently there are 2 of them? I was wondering if we should have put oil in the other one?? Dumb question..I know..I just thought the differentalwas inthe transfer case.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

OK, just re-read your post, your t-case is shot, www.roverlandparts.com will set you up with a used one for $900.
The trk is full time four wheel drive, the "L" and "H" are for low range and high range.
You have locked and un locked. Locked is on the left, un locked is on the right, to the right and all the way back is normal everyday driving.
Locked, in basic terms, locks all four wheels together so that they all turn at the same speed and have equal amounts of power.
Low range gives you more torque.
As for the light being stuck on, make sure that you are in unlocked high and it will shut off. It is stuck on because it has never been used.
You can continue to drive it, your transfer case is toast anyway, so might as well get every mile out of it while you are waiting for the new one.
And just in case you didnt know, Land Rovers require premuim gas, all the time everytime.
Might be a good idea to change the fluids in both differentals too.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Team Owner

OK, no such things as a dumb question, the differentials are on the axle, yes you have two, one on the front and one on the back, look under the trk, it is the big round thing that the drive shaft goes into.
Yes it is a good idea to change the fluid in both of those, really easy to do, there is a drain plug and a fill plug and it takes gear lube, just like the t-case does. Just over one quart each.
Nobody has much luck rebuilding a Rover t-case so dont bother.
Here is how the driveline works, engine turns the transmission, turns the transfer case, turns the driveshafts, turn the differentials, turn the axles which then turn the wheels.
Have the shop replace the transmission fluid and filter too.
After all of that is done we can adress your other problems.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM
5th Gear

I also was going to change the fluids..I am going to change the transmission fluid too..but I had our land Rover dealership tell me that I should change the filter..yet someone else who my cousin knows from Britain(land rover owner)said that they really recommend that you change it the once at 30k miles then leave it alone and change the fluid only..I am wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of changing the trans filter..mainly I wonder why they say not to...

I am trying so hard to get it out if locked..it will more in the middle spot alright to east and west(didn't before) but there really isn't any spot it goes into on the left or right going up or down..you're just pushing it around and it doesn't go into a spot..

Is there a way for my husband to go under it and mess with it to unlock it? Or will it be stuck now until it's fixed? it doesn't feel like it is in 4 wheel drive at all..not H or L..it drives the same as before..I tried to drive in circles in terrain with it unlocked then lock it and see what happened..well there didn't seem to be a change(other than the light now that says it's locked)

I am gonna have to try to get it out of that spot..

thank you so much for being so nice! I really appreciate it..

Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
5th Gear

this is by far the best description anyone has said..it actually registered in my brain..makes sense..so the one transfer case controls two differentals..so it wouldn't matter what we do to the rear one because the transfer case controls them and is broken.

good to hear that rebuilding it doesn't work..I won't waste my time..I found one at some place called Car Cannibals and they are really reasonable..I don't know if they are reliable or not..but really low prices for land rover parts.

have a good night..or day..

Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Team Owner

Rover Cannabils... I have heard are not very reliable, but I have no personal experiance with them.
As far as changing the transmission filter, yes LR says not to bother once it is done at 30k, I say it wont hurt. And judging by the t-case being bone dry I am willing to bet that it has never been done.
Dont worry about the t-case being stuck in locked, doesnt matter at this point.

Everybody on this forum is very nice and helpful, we all love our trks almost as much as our children.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 PM
5th Gear

Took it in and the transfer case was toast. It was actually stuck in 4 high..that is why is was making a whining noise. I ended up driving to San Antonio to get a used one with 28k miles on itand it is getting installed today. happy happy! I am also having the tranny fluid changed/flushed..

I appreicate your help...my new questions...

the vinyl seats are odd..the fabric pretty much just fell off..like it rubbed off..so when I was in San Antonio I got some front seats from a 96 disco but they have plastic on the tops of them and the fabric is patterned..I haven't pulled our seats yet..will these fit? I also found a nicer set on ebay for $350 for the pair off a 2001and I really am wondering what models/years are compatible with mine. It's a 95 disco SE5..

I called the dealership to ask about the keyless entry remote and he told me that you HAVE to get it from the dealer($140 plus 1/2 hour labor) He said I couldn't get one used and that people bring used ones in all the time and they can't do anything with them..is this true? It seemed to make sense....I don't mind spending the money..just wanted to double check...

rubber floor mats..should I buy aftermarket, used or just bite the bullet and get a new set? Ours are just really faded and dry.

AND...lastly(for now)....the people who owned it...well the front sunroof leaked so instead of fixing it they took silicone and just siliconed it...(some people are so bright)...so we cut the silicone off and you can hear the motor..the rear one works and I looked at it some..there is a little silver metal peice that is just slightly exposed and the rear looks like it rolls ...works with no issues...so the front..well it rolls fine too...but the sunroof isn't moving at all..where should I even start with that? It looks like it's going to be a hassle..maybe I should buy some more silicone! kidding...

thanks Spike555

thank you!!

Quick Reply: disco transfer case or linkage problems?