Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco windshield makes it hard to see in rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a new windshield is less than $300 without the heater element. I got a quote of $240..... so just replace it and call it a day

Old 12-09-2009, 04:13 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
a new windshield is less than $300 without the heater element. I got a quote of $240..... so just replace it and call it a day
that seems expensive. I had a guy come to my house and install a good plinkerton windshield in my BMW for like $130.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rain-x

I've always had good luck with Rain-X, make sure the windshield is nice and warm, otherwise won't work nearly as well. And lay it on THICK. Put at least a couple coats on to be sure you touch it all. Use Rain-X wiper fluid too just to hammer the point home....

Might as well give it a shot, nothing to lose IMO.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
My windshields are free.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
TReK

like above i just buy windsheild fluid with rain x in it.

also a trick a buddy of mine told me from his days as a private car detailer was to wash the glass with soemthing that will really cut and get rid of the grime and to polish and wax the glass with the rest of the car. helps the glass last longer and it makes it slick in the rain. this is why he says new cars always seem to have kick *** wiper blades, is because of the wax on the windsheild.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
My windshields are free.
yeah but how much comprehensive insurance have you paid in? I've driven a long time and only have had to replace one windshield so far for $130.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
yeah but how much comprehensive insurance have you paid in? I've driven a long time and only have had to replace one windshield so far for $130.
It costs me $12 per year for full glass coverage on the truck with a zero dollar deductible.
This last windshield was $634 for the glass, installation and new window trim.
I get a new windshield every 3-4 years. (we have lots of salt trucks that crack lots of windshields)
So a new windshield costs me $48.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
like above i just buy windsheild fluid with rain x in it.

also a trick a buddy of mine told me from his days as a private car detailer was to wash the glass with something that will really cut and get rid of the grime and to polish and wax the glass with the rest of the car. helps the glass last longer and it makes it slick in the rain. this is why he says new cars always seem to have kick *** wiper blades, is because of the wax on the windsheild.
In fact, while I can't speak to *actual* wax (car paint wax, like carnauba, which I'm pretty sure would leave the window streaky), "window wax" like RainX or the Spot-Free Rinse in many automatic washes makes your wipers work worse.

Those things work by reducing the effect of the glass on the surface tension of the water so that it beads up and runs off.

Because the water's more prone to bead, even in very small droplet sizes, the wipers can't clean the window as well. They slip over the drops, instead of breaking them.

As for Rain-X Washer Fluid, yes, but only as a replenisihment. if you're going to do the Rain-X thing for the first time on a new windshield, my experience is that you need to clean that glass to within .2mm of it's *life*; 2 passes with Windex and dry with black and white newspaper seems to work best, though on an older windshield, lighter fluid or mineral spirits might not be out of the question (though be as careful as you would with brake fluid).

Then put on 2 complete coats of RainX from the squeeze bottle, in the shade, in *precisely* the fashion approved by the manual. Let each one dry 10 or 15 minutes. Then buff. (With a very clean buffer or microfiber mitt. Lightly.)

If you get everything exactly right, you will end up with a windshield that will shed water as low as (my record is) 22mph; at 60, your windshield will be completely clean, in truly scary amounts of rain, and you will damned near never need to turn on the wipers...

which is good, cause they won't help you much. :-)

Replenish about every 6 months, or when your minimum speed rises past a useful point.

Rain-X really isn't bad... but lots of people hate it because they don't apply it properly. I was one of them, but I gave it One Last Chance.

As for free replacement windshields; I don't think insurance coverage will replace it just for pitting; I think most policies require a crack.

Last edited by Baylink; 12-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Baylink

As for free replacement windshields; I don't think insurance coverage will replace it just for pitting; I think most policies require a crack.
Yes they will, as long as you have glass coverage.
It is a safety hazard, if you cant see clearly you increase your chances of a crash, you crash they will spend more money to fix your car than to replace the windshield.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Baylink
In fact, while I can't speak to *actual* wax (car paint wax, like carnauba, which I'm pretty sure would leave the window streaky), "window wax" like RainX or the Spot-Free Rinse in many automatic washes makes your wipers work worse.

Those things work by reducing the effect of the glass on the surface tension of the water so that it beads up and runs off.

Because the water's more prone to bead, even in very small droplet sizes, the wipers can't clean the window as well. They slip over the drops, instead of breaking them.

As for Rain-X Washer Fluid, yes, but only as a replenisihment. if you're going to do the Rain-X thing for the first time on a new windshield, my experience is that you need to clean that glass to within .2mm of it's *life*; 2 passes with Windex and dry with black and white newspaper seems to work best, though on an older windshield, lighter fluid or mineral spirits might not be out of the question (though be as careful as you would with brake fluid).

Then put on 2 complete coats of RainX from the squeeze bottle, in the shade, in *precisely* the fashion approved by the manual. Let each one dry 10 or 15 minutes. Then buff. (With a very clean buffer or microfiber mitt. Lightly.)

If you get everything exactly right, you will end up with a windshield that will shed water as low as (my record is) 22mph; at 60, your windshield will be completely clean, in truly scary amounts of rain, and you will damned near never need to turn on the wipers...

which is good, cause they won't help you much. :-)

Replenish about every 6 months, or when your minimum speed rises past a useful point.

Rain-X really isn't bad... but lots of people hate it because they don't apply it properly. I was one of them, but I gave it One Last Chance.

i use car wax and have no issue. just work the wax and it will come out streak free. dont knock till you try it.

Quick Reply: Disco windshield makes it hard to see in rain?