Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Fuel Rail Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was down deep in a head gasket change when I noticed a couple of cam lobes worn down. I bought the crower cam from d&d. Gasket matched the heads and intake and cleaned up the bowls and shaved the heads .60 thousands to bump the cr. Had to install .70 thousands rocker arm shims. Gasket ported the exhaust manifolds and bought the walker 55417 y-pipe. I liked the two into one connection that matched the manifold rather than the clam shell factory design. The stock short block has 180k on it and now runs like a beast. Great low and mid range power. That crower cam is a perfect cam for this set up. Before it would feel like I pulling a boat to cruise at 70. Now I have to feather the throttle to keep from doing 85. What a difference. I would recommend to everyone if your pulling the heads to change hg to spend the extra bucks and by the crower cam. I know the porting and exhaust have also influenced the results but that cam wakes up this motor. I just wished I could have picked up a 4.6 rotating assembly to add to the equation. Maybe in the future.............

Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so you shaved the heads".60" but then had to shim the rockers ".70"

Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Drifting

I change the camshaft which has a different lobe profile than the original. The required lifter compression is .20 to .60 thousands. I had .100 with new crower camshaft and shaved heads. So I found some aluminum sheet in my garage that was .70 thousands and made the shims. Once completely assembled, I had .30 lifter compression when finished. .10 more than the .20 minimum. Voila!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Drifting

An who knows, I asked the machine shop to remove .60 thousands. They could have removed a little more and said " yeah we shaved .60" 😈

Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by billlapinga
I was down deep in a head gasket change when I noticed a couple of cam lobes worn down. I bought the crower cam from d&d. Gasket matched the heads and intake and cleaned up the bowls and shaved the heads .60 thousands to bump the cr. Had to install .70 thousands rocker arm shims. Gasket ported the exhaust manifolds and bought the walker 55417 y-pipe. I liked the two into one connection that matched the manifold rather than the clam shell factory design. The stock short block has 180k on it and now runs like a beast. Great low and mid range power. That crower cam is a perfect cam for this set up. Before it would feel like I pulling a boat to cruise at 70. Now I have to feather the throttle to keep from doing 85. What a difference. I would recommend to everyone if your pulling the heads to change hg to spend the extra bucks and by the crower cam. I know the porting and exhaust have also influenced the results but that cam wakes up this motor. I just wished I could have picked up a 4.6 rotating assembly to add to the equation. Maybe in the future.............
I actually got a different brand cam out of the UK, im not exactly sure who made it. I wish I had just gone with the crowder, but I didn't know they existed until I already had mine. Maybe in another 100k miles

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Just so you guys can see the differences between a DI and DII fuel rail. Granted, the DI fuel rail is, in reality from a Range Rover Classic but you can at least get the drift. On 14CUX DI's the only difference is the location of the port for the fuel temp sensor and that there is a schrader valve for testing fuel pressure. For GEMS DI's the location of the fuel regulator and where the fuel entered the rail was moved from the passenger side to the divers side rear.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery Fuel Rail Question-img_8291.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Just so you guys can see the differences between a DI and DII fuel rail. Granted, the DI fuel rail is, in reality from a Range Rover Classic but you can at least get the drift. On 14CUX DI's the only difference is the location of the port for the fuel temp sensor and that there is a schrader valve for testing fuel pressure. For GEMS DI's the location of the fuel regulator and where the fuel entered the rail was moved from the passenger side to the divers side rear.
Yea, looks like it would take a little work but it could be done. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Sounds like the cam you got was a piper cam. I was interested in the 3rd cam from stock they have but was a little aggressive for a stock torque converter. Probably going to get some flak for this but I live in a big city and dont hardly do any off roading except maybe climbing a curb or 2. Im really like my disco and plan to keep her for a long time. Im looking for performance and handling rather than off roading capabilities. I found a torque converter shop who can rebuild mine and increase the stall speed. Looking for a 4.6 shortblock and the level 3 cam will have me grinning like the joker.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by billlapinga
Sounds like the cam you got was a piper cam. I was interested in the 3rd cam from stock they have but was a little aggressive for a stock torque converter. Probably going to get some flak for this but I live in a big city and dont hardly do any off roading except maybe climbing a curb or 2. Im really like my disco and plan to keep her for a long time. Im looking for performance and handling rather than off roading capabilities. I found a torque converter shop who can rebuild mine and increase the stall speed. Looking for a 4.6 shortblock and the level 3 cam will have me grinning like the joker.
I found it, here is the one I got.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7444GEMS

I couldn't find any exact numbers on it, but I took a gamble. I haven't driven the Disco enough to see how noticable it is yet, but so far it doesn't feel like as much extra power as I had hoped. It does give it a nice lope though

Old 09-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Drifting

That cam is near identical as the crower 50229 I have. I want to use the 50231 with the increased stroke of the 4.6 crank. Should be some fun!

Quick Reply: Discovery Fuel Rail Question