Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Fuel Rail Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by billlapinga
That cam is near identical as the crower 50229 I have. I want to use the 50231 with the increased stroke of the 4.6 crank. Should be some fun!
It's got a nice little lope doesn't it? I've actually got the 4.6, ive never driven a 4.0 for comparison. It isn't any speed demon, but it does ok. Pulls and climbs like a beast though.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get in, fire her up, put her in gear, mash the peddle down and feel 4800 lbs of metal rip through the gears. I wrapped the manifolds and down pipe to the cat with exhaust wrap. Helped with under hood temps and keeps the gases hot so they flow faster out of the heads and its quieter up front. This is a completely different car than when I bought it. I had a friend run it down the street and watched and listened. I couldn't believe how fast it went down the street from a dead stop. He came back grinning saying the same thing. Hot damn she runs hard. And it sounded good for a 4 litre v8. Your 4.6 should pull even harder with more torque! I cross drilled my brake rotors and use ceramic brake pads. A massive improvement that was needed to stop this tank. I bought a set of 22 inch range rover rims and plan to lower bout an inch and half. Just a little for better center of gravity. I ordered ball joints and shocks and soon as they arrive I'm on it! As you can hear I really enjoy my disco.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Camel Trophy

I get in, fire her up, put her in gear, mash the peddle down and feel 4800 lbs of metal rip through the gears. I wrapped the manifolds and down pipe to the cat with exhaust wrap. Helped with under hood temps and keeps the gases hot so they flow faster out of the heads and its quieter up front. This is a completely different car than when I bought it. I had a friend run it down the street and watched and listened. I couldn't believe how fast it went down the street from a dead stop. He came back grinning saying the same thing. Hot damn she runs hard. And it sounded good for a 4 litre v8. Your 4.6 should pull even harder with more torque! I cross drilled my brake rotors and use ceramic brake pads. A massive improvement that was needed to stop this tank. I bought a set of 22 inch range rover rims and plan to lower bout an inch and half. Just a little for better center of gravity. I ordered ball joints and shocks and soon as they arrive I'm on it! As you can hear I really enjoy my disco.
I may just have to wrap my manifolds and pipe. I have a set of terrafirma drilled and slotted rotors with federo pads, stops perfectly. I plan to stick with the stock 16s and actually lift it about 3 inches, but the suspension will be firmer so it should corner similarly. I'm going with 32" Mud Tires too, so our rigs will be a little different.

How are you going to lower it? By cutting a coil or two out of the springs?

I just had my ball joints done too, it really stiffened up the steering and I learned that I also needed a new tie rod which thankfully I could pull off of my parts truck.

Have you done any exhaust work? I currently have a Borla Pro XS Muffler with Magnaflow high flow catalytic converters. Well, actually only one. I melted one of them a couple days ago because of a misfire, so I have an open exhaust manifold on that side right now. Haha

Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Drifting

I used the walker y-pipe. I liked the 2 into the 1 collector. It has better flow characteristics than all the rest I've looked at. I used the factory mandrel pipe after the cats for better flow. The factory clamshell joint causes turbulence and a lot of aftermarket manufacturers use the same clamshell type connection. Ive worked on race teams designing exhaust systems. I was a welder and took notes on a lot of the designs and talked to the engineers so I have mad experience with flow. Better flow creates a vacuum that sucks out exhaust and in fresh air and fuel for more efficiency.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Drifting

As for the suspension I've researched for smaller spring heights with same rates but no luck. So I'll just cut a coil or so to lower to the desired height that I want. Its a stiff ride to start with but the improved handling and looks I'll gladly take

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Camel Trophy

I used the walker y-pipe. I liked the 2 into the 1 collector. It has better flow characteristics than all the rest I've looked at. I used the factory mandrel pipe after the cats for better flow. The factory clamshell joint causes turbulence and a lot of aftermarket manufacturers use the same clamshell type connection. Ive worked on race teams designing exhaust systems. I was a welder and took notes on a lot of the designs and talked to the engineers so I have mad experience with flow. Better flow creates a vacuum that sucks out exhaust and in fresh air and fuel for more efficiency.
Yea, I'm sure my y-pipe is hideous in terms of flow. Some time next late summer or fall I will be putting on headers and will have to replace the y-pipe anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Did you gain a noticeable amount of gas mileage or power? When I did mine I definitely noticed a difference in power. Gained a decent amount of high end with only a small amount of low end loss. I didn't notice a lot of gas mileage increase.

Did you do anything with your intake? Pre-cam, that was where I noticed the most gain. I had to make my own since I couldn't find any online. I used a straight piece of 3.25" diameter aluminum tube with a couple of turbocharger couplings from ebay and replaced the factory air box with a K&N pod filter.

I'd love to see some pictures of it after you get it lowered. That sounds really interesting, especially with the 22" rims.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Definitely will post some pics when completed. I used the stock intake and box. Haven't experimented with the air box. Heard many stories horror about k&n filter issue and mass air. Finally figured its the oil used that messes up the mass air meter. There is still a massive amount of under the hood heat created so I would prefer a ram air set up. Looking in to that next. There's all ready a hole under the air box so I'm designing ram air set up to utilize this.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Drifting

I'm still trying to figure out mpg but I've been having to much fun passing people and flying down the highway. I used to get 280 miles a tank but playing around have exceeded that. Was racing a guy tonight in a Dodge duelie. Took of at the light, hes fish tailing through the intersection and then his tires bite. Im on his *** and shoot beside to egg him on to continue. Should have seen the look on his face when I acelerated past him at 70 mph and kept increasing in speed. I run 93 octane and nothing less. Honestly I'm not interested in mpg but it helps. I put $200 a week in fuel. I drive 75 miles in bumper to bumper a day to work and home. Im more interested in reducing engine temps. My next move is an all aluminum generic larger radiator to help with temps. I have no thermostat and use water and water wetter additive. I was looking into the 03 04 trans cooler for improved oil cooler. Its supposed to be bigger than 99-02 cooler

Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Last winter the temps were nice and she ran hard in stock form. Cant wait for it to cool down this winter. I really want to play then

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Camel Trophy

I, too, heard about the K&N horror stories, but im kinda hard headed sometimes. I figure if it burns up one per year, it's worth the ~40 for a new one off of eBay. So far I haven't had any problems and I've had it installed a couple thousand miles. I did have to clean the maf just before installing it, so I figure this one is on its last leg anyway. A ram air setup would be nice. I (before I really remotely knew what I was doing) tried to make one myself. I had a rather small amount of success, but the K&N with my custom intake has been a lot better option so far.

I'm still trying to figure out mpg but I've been having to much fun passing people and flying down the highway. I used to get 280 miles a tank but playing around have exceeded that. Was racing a guy tonight in a Dodge duelie. Took of at the light, hes fish tailing through the intersection and then his tires bite. Im on his *** and shoot beside to egg him on to continue. Should have seen the look on his face when I acelerated past him at 70 mph and kept increasing in speed. I run 93 octane and nothing less. Honestly I'm not interested in mpg but it helps. I put $200 a week in fuel. I drive 75 miles in bumper to bumper a day to work and home. Im more interested in reducing engine temps. My next move is an all aluminum generic larger radiator to help with temps. I have no thermostat and use water and water wetter additive. I was looking into the 03 04 trans cooler for improved oil cooler. Its supposed to be bigger than 99-02 cooler
Yea, I don't really drive for efficiency myself. I still like to see how it changes from tank to tank, however. At one point I did get 18. That was feathering the throttle and almost all Highway miles with two or three stops and no idle time, but typically I average 12.

Ive actually thought about a larger radiator, myself. I was doing a bit of research a while back and didn't find anything, so I'm not sure where I would get one. Maybe I would have one made. Not really worried about it right now since it seems to do ok as is. Have you thought about electric fans? I'm about to install a dual fan setup in mine after I get the shroud done.

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-30-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Discovery Fuel Rail Question