Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discovery II Brake upgrade

Hi Lads,
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my brakes a little,nothing too drastic,but maybe a set of cross drilled rotors and a premium set of pads.I've noticed there are a few sellers online offering front and rear Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors for Disco II's at about $300.Anyone had any experience with these? Also,what would be a good pad choice for this type of rotor?According to Land Rover service people,nothing beats the softer original equipment pads as aftermarket offerings tend to be noisy,but if one wants to upgrade to drilled rotors,wouldn't it stand to reason that a harder pad would be better suited for less wear? Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Discovery II Brake upgrade

Makes sense to me, especially with the extra heat dissapation. Just make sure you use sound deadening material and you should be golden.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Newfoundlandrover

Hi Lads,
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my brakes a little,nothing too drastic,but maybe a set of cross drilled rotors and a premium set of pads.I've noticed there are a few sellers online offering front and rear Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors for Disco II's at about $300.Anyone had any experience with these? Also,what would be a good pad choice for this type of rotor?According to Land Rover service people,nothing beats the softer original equipment pads as aftermarket offerings tend to be noisy,but if one wants to upgrade to drilled rotors,wouldn't it stand to reason that a harder pad would be better suited for less wear? Any thoughts or advice would be great.
Waste of money in many ways. Brembo's are the best in the business, but that is for high performance vehicles that see the track regularly. I have them on my car and they are incredible.

You're going to go through brakes extremely fast with cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. The cut through the brake pads very quickly.

Are you sure the discs your speaking of will work with the stock calipers? Brembo's sizes are fitted to their rotors (serious cash).

If you really want them make sure of this, but I would pass and buy a good set of pads for the Disco IMHO.

B-

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have been running DBA rotors and Kevlar pads for over the last 4 years, original pads have 65,000 miles on them and they are going strong still. I can't speak for the Brembo's but the DBA's, which have been out for ever give you everything you want and more.
If you go to any of the slotted and drilled rotors, full your brake system and run synthetic Vavline brake fluid, to handle the extra heat.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used drilled slotted on my street car, but I'd heard years ago that they suck (oops!) for dirt/mud since they tend to hold dirt/mud & wear pads/rotors quicker.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to change out my rotors and brake pads on my 03 Disco (when it only had 25,000K miles ...back in December 2007).

Reason? the brakes squeeled a bit intially- the LR service dept at the dealership said that was common.

Well, I hated the fact that in the mornings, my truck will squeel initially during those first few brakes...it was embarassing.

I also noticed that the front rotors had a lip on them.

So, I researched and bought 4 drilled/ slotted rotors called DBA gold rotors from www.ExpeditionExchange.com.

Additionally, I purchased 4 kevlar pads to withstand the heat of the rotors. OEM pads on drilled/slotted rotors will wear out very quickly.

After the install, I can immediately tell the difference in performance overall in braking power.

I would highly recommend this setup to all. Disco Mike should get the credit cuz he is running this setup on his Disco.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Fella's...I'll do a little more research on the Brembo's and also look into Mike's setup.There is no rush for a brake job on my truck or anything,but I thought it would be nice to have a little bit more braking power.