Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Discovery II Brake upgrade

Hi Lads,
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my brakes a little,nothing too drastic,but maybe a set of cross drilled rotors and a premium set of pads.I've noticed there are a few sellers online offering front and rear Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors for Disco II's at about $300.Anyone had any experience with these? Also,what would be a good pad choice for this type of rotor?According to Land Rover service people,nothing beats the softer original equipment pads as aftermarket offerings tend to be noisy,but if one wants to upgrade to drilled rotors,wouldn't it stand to reason that a harder pad would be better suited for less wear? Any thoughts or advice would be great.
2001 Kia Sportage 4x4
1979 Honda XL125S
1974 Kawasaki MC1-M
2008 Jeep Patriot North
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Discovery II Brake upgrade

Makes sense to me, especially with the extra heat dissapation. Just make sure you use sound deadening material and you should be golden.
2010 GLK 350 Mercedes
1990 VW Cabriolet - Lake car...
1997 Discovery SD-7 to put the boat in.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Newfoundlandrover

Hi Lads,
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my brakes a little,nothing too drastic,but maybe a set of cross drilled rotors and a premium set of pads.I've noticed there are a few sellers online offering front and rear Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors for Disco II's at about $300.Anyone had any experience with these? Also,what would be a good pad choice for this type of rotor?According to Land Rover service people,nothing beats the softer original equipment pads as aftermarket offerings tend to be noisy,but if one wants to upgrade to drilled rotors,wouldn't it stand to reason that a harder pad would be better suited for less wear? Any thoughts or advice would be great.
Waste of money in many ways. Brembo's are the best in the business, but that is for high performance vehicles that see the track regularly. I have them on my car and they are incredible.

You're going to go through brakes extremely fast with cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. The cut through the brake pads very quickly.

Are you sure the discs your speaking of will work with the stock calipers? Brembo's sizes are fitted to their rotors (serious cash).

If you really want them make sure of this, but I would pass and buy a good set of pads for the Disco IMHO.

B-

'02 Audi S4 with a few extras ;-)

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Disco Mike

I have been running DBA rotors and Kevlar pads for over the last 4 years, original pads have 65,000 miles on them and they are going strong still. I can't speak for the Brembo's but the DBA's, which have been out for ever give you everything you want and more.
If you go to any of the slotted and drilled rotors, full your brake system and run synthetic Vavline brake fluid, to handle the extra heat.

99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with a Detroit and T.T. lockers, H.D. axles, 4:11 gears, Custom front and rear bumpers, sliders, Warn winch, and 5 HID's.

To Download the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Need Parts?
paulgrant@mac.com, or 203-770-1699
willtillery@roverguy.com, or 434-251-9331
Paul PTSchram 260-804-0458
PM Marty(Drillbit)[url]http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...o=newpm&u=5940
British Parts of Utah, http://www.bputah.com/
Lucky8, http://lucky8llc.com/
Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM

I've used drilled slotted on my street car, but I'd heard years ago that they suck (oops!) for dirt/mud since they tend to hold dirt/mud & wear pads/rotors quicker.

'96 RR 4.0se 170K nice (but now gone)
"97 D1 Se7 130K - nicer -- ford injectors,airtex fuel pump,electric fans,gauges,no front sway,shocks,some bushings,side exh,alt,starter,CKPS,o2's,timing chain,waterpump,many flushes,crankcase cleaning,modified window tracks,cleaned MAF,repacked hubs,freed xfer linkage,rod bearings, cleaned rocker ***'ys, U-joints, Sony sound, etc.

Rave cd 590mb link - (it's zipped)
http://www.landroverresource.com/
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM

I wanted to change out my rotors and brake pads on my 03 Disco (when it only had 25,000K miles ...back in December 2007).

Reason? the brakes squeeled a bit intially- the LR service dept at the dealership said that was common.

Well, I hated the fact that in the mornings, my truck will squeel initially during those first few brakes...it was embarassing.

I also noticed that the front rotors had a lip on them.

So, I researched and bought 4 drilled/ slotted rotors called DBA gold rotors from www.ExpeditionExchange.com.

Additionally, I purchased 4 kevlar pads to withstand the heat of the rotors. OEM pads on drilled/slotted rotors will wear out very quickly.

After the install, I can immediately tell the difference in performance overall in braking power.

I would highly recommend this setup to all. Disco Mike should get the credit cuz he is running this setup on his Disco.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks Fella's...I'll do a little more research on the Brembo's and also look into Mike's setup.There is no rush for a brake job on my truck or anything,but I thought it would be nice to have a little bit more braking power.
2001 Kia Sportage 4x4
1979 Honda XL125S
1974 Kawasaki MC1-M
2008 Jeep Patriot North
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Tags
brake, brakes, brakeupgradeforlandroverdisco11, d2, disco, discovery, front, hold, ii, land, landrover, rover, upgrade, upgraded, upgrades