> Door lock cylinder just spins. - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Door lock cylinder just spins.

Just happened today. Dunno if there was an attempted break in (unlikely) or if something just broke (probably).

Anyway, the thread title says it all. I put the key into the driver's door lock and it freely turns clockwise or counterclock wise until it hits its stop. No latching or unlactching of an actual mechanism occurs.

It will still lock and unlock with the fob.

What's broke and how do I fix it?

Amigo free since 12/4/2009
Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM

I don't know how different the DI and DII are on this but mine was doing the same thing before I fixed it. If you take off the door panel you can see how the door lock actuator ties in and then you will notice that the actual mechanical part of the door has little metal pieces that connect everything. Part of mine was undone. Made the missing piece out of an old heavy duty wire hanger (modeled after the passenger side hook up), hooked it back up and voila. Works like new. Good luck.

Sold - '96 Disco SE7 ~156,000 Miles, 8mm Magnacor Wires, New: Champion Copper spark plugs, IACV, TPS, Water Pump, Rad Cap, T-Stat, and Fan Clutch. Driveshafts Rebuilt, Custom Built Front Grill, Diff serviced and working like "butta"

Rave Link: http://www.landroverresource.com/

Code Link: http://mechanicdoctor.com/default.aspx

Additional Repair Manuals (Thanks to Antichrist):
http://landroverforums.com/forum/gen...-images-42972/
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

I had the same thing with mine. Dang thing broke right off. My key-fob's don't work either. That was an interesting time breaking into my disco....
Royal Purple for 17k & counting
86k on Engine, 114k Miles on the rest
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 AM

do a search on the forum. There is a nail-like piece that is attached to the back of the key cylinder that turns the locking mechanism. That nail-like piece has likely broken off. It is made of a pot metal type material. You will need to find one at a wrecking yard or order one from the Dealer. As I recall, you will need to order the entire door lock, as a bonus, they will send you a new key with the lock. You will need to have it reprogrammed at the dealer for $65 and have the mechanism installed. You can do it yourseld, not hard, it just takes a little time. The part is about $175. I found the part at a wrecking yard, the guy snaked me for $20, he wanted $40 as I recall. Without it, if your remote konks out your are in a heap of trouble, there is only one keyed door on the DII. Good luck. Like I said there are several long threads on this. I wrote or added to one last August. Phil
Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Default The fix

Here you go.

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=11776
'99 DII, STI wires, Champion 7070s, '04 CDL, ARB Bull Bar, Warn winch, Garvin WILDERNESS rack, painted headliner, air springs victim, headgaskets at 109,500, plus victim of XYZ (twice!) and many other ridiculous DII failures. AMIGO FREE since February 2011. www.birmabrightbrotherhood.com

Runs like a top; now if I could just afford the gas! December 2014 update - Wait ... now I CAN afford the gas! Drill baby, drill!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Tags
broken, cylinder, discovery, disovery, door, drivers, freely, key, land, lock, mechanism, remote, rover, side, spins, turns