Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock cylinder just spins.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock cylinder just spins.

Just happened today. Dunno if there was an attempted break in (unlikely) or if something just broke (probably).

Anyway, the thread title says it all. I put the key into the driver's door lock and it freely turns clockwise or counterclock wise until it hits its stop. No latching or unlactching of an actual mechanism occurs.

It will still lock and unlock with the fob.

What's broke and how do I fix it?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how different the DI and DII are on this but mine was doing the same thing before I fixed it. If you take off the door panel you can see how the door lock actuator ties in and then you will notice that the actual mechanical part of the door has little metal pieces that connect everything. Part of mine was undone. Made the missing piece out of an old heavy duty wire hanger (modeled after the passenger side hook up), hooked it back up and voila. Works like new. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing with mine. Dang thing broke right off. My key-fob's don't work either. That was an interesting time breaking into my disco....

Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

do a search on the forum. There is a nail-like piece that is attached to the back of the key cylinder that turns the locking mechanism. That nail-like piece has likely broken off. It is made of a pot metal type material. You will need to find one at a wrecking yard or order one from the Dealer. As I recall, you will need to order the entire door lock, as a bonus, they will send you a new key with the lock. You will need to have it reprogrammed at the dealer for $65 and have the mechanism installed. You can do it yourseld, not hard, it just takes a little time. The part is about $175. I found the part at a wrecking yard, the guy snaked me for $20, he wanted $40 as I recall. Without it, if your remote konks out your are in a heap of trouble, there is only one keyed door on the DII. Good luck. Like I said there are several long threads on this. I wrote or added to one last August. Phil

Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts