Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock/handle actuator issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock/handle actuator issue

I was having an issue where after I locked and unlocked the car I could no longer open the rear passenger door with the handle outside (I could using the interior handle). I removed the actuator and have been able to get it stuck in the locked position.

I purchased another actuator and ran into the same issue. It is permanently locked and nothing seems to be able to unlock it. Any thoughts? Is this new one also bad?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

do you turn the key forward twice to unlock the rear doors?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Yeah, plus using the keyfob and the door lock on the center console. The actuator is actually doing it even if I remove it from the vehicle. I can lock it and cant unlock it.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

well, we have reached the extent of my knowledge on this particular topic- and that didn't take long!. hang tight, one of these guys is sure to have the answer. good luck.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had this problem once when I messed with the child lock lever on the back door. Finally got the darn thing opened, cleaned and lubed everything real well, and vowed to never mess with that lever again.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Drifting

If that is the little metal piece next to the unlock/lock sticker then that doesn't seem to be an issue. I have cleaned and lubed it (and it is a new unit), yet both my units do this. At the moment I cant close that door since it is stuck locked.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:56 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm jumping on board because I have the same issue. I always lock my truck. Every time I unlock the truck the rear driver side door wont open from the outside. Have to crawl inside and open the door that way. As long as the doors are not locked again I can open the rear driver side door from the outside.

I will locate the child lock switch and lube it and see if that does anything. In New Hampshire this issue as minor as it is will result in a failed safety inspection... Its not a major concern of mine as I dont often bring passengers on board but it does get annoying when I want to stuff **** in my truck.

Let me know if anyone comes up with a conclusion on the issue and a fix.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Front right and rear left locks did lock but not unlock in mine as bought. Archived the fob and have never-ever locked the vehicle again in 3 years in fear of being unable to enter.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a similar problem before with the driver's door where it would lock but wouldn't unlock using the fob, but it would unlock using the key from outside. Fortunately for me, replacing the actuator did the trick.

My first move would be to look at the mechanics and make sure that the piece of metal that connects the lock to the actuator is in good shape, and that the cable that runs to the actuator is installed properly. Unless I misunderstand how it operates, when it gets the signal to lock or unlock, the actuator operates the latch via this cable. If there's something sticking mechanically with the cable, it might have trouble unlocking normally.

Assuming it's not mechanical, I'd then get a multimeter and look at the wiring diagrams. Using the probes and operating the lock, test to see what kind of control signals you're getting through the multiplug that goes into the actuator. This way you'll be able to tell whether it's getting the right signals. If it is, and if the mechanical aspects are all fine, then you've isolated the problem to the actuator itself.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Drifting

I appreciate all of the responses. I am still struggling with this issue. Just to reiterate, I am able to replicate this issue with the actuator out of the car (not even plugged in). My assumption is that it is a bad actuator but it seems strange that both my original and new one have the same issue.

Quick Reply: Door lock/handle actuator issue