Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock/handle actuator issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's going on here. There are at least three ways to lock/unlock that door: with the keyfob, using the key in the driver's door and using the switch on the center console. Are you saying no matter which method you use, the rear passenger door locks and then won't unlock unless you open it from inside the vehicle?

What do you mean you can replicate this without the actuator in the car? Certainly you can't lock the door without an actuator to lock it with, right?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lock actually will not unlock with any of the methods. When I mean I can replicate this with the actuator out of the car, I mean just that. I removed the actuator from the car and can lock it using the lock pulley thing on the actuator and then cannot unlock it. It stays permanently locked.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what we're looking at, right? Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I assume you're saying that with the actuator installed, you can pull the release cable to lock it, but it won't unlock, right? What about pushing down on the lock tab at the top of the mechanism?

I assume when you say you took the actuator out, you're not talking about physically taking the actuator completely out of the door, because then you wouldn't have a latch, right? Are you saying you just unplug the actuator, shut the door, then it stays locked?

Do you have a multimeter? You should have a couple of pink/purple striped wires going into the actuator, one of which tells the motor to lock it and the other of which tells it to engage the superlock. Probe it and you should get a voltage signal when you lock/unlock the doors (probably 12v, but I'm not sure). If you are getting something, that at least would eliminate it being an electrical or control issue further up the chain. Then you could say with confidence that it's either the actuator or something mechanical that's messed up.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I will go ahead and look at the electronics. That being said, I was talking about replicating this issue with the actuator completely removed from the door. Just holding the actuator in my hand (yes, the one in your RAVE picture), I manually lock it and cannot unlock the latch. To me this would eliminate any electrical issue as it isn't even in the car. I would think it is an issue with the internals of the actuator.