Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driiveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Anybody know if the Precision 617 has a grease fitting for a needle attachment?
If it does, can it be lubed without unbolting anything?

I'd like to grease the centering ball but dread having to disassemble it just to inject some grease.

thx.
Nope, 617 don't have a grease fitting.

I think GKN makes a centering ball also and I think neapco used to make one but never had either of those to look at.

I'm probably wrong about this, and maybe someone will chime in if I am but, I don't think any centering ***** have a grease fitting on their own. I think the socket in the driveshaft that the ball goes into has to be drilled and tapped for a grease fitting and a low profile needle type fitting will have to be used to clear everything.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-20-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

How have you guys removed the driveshaft? Can't get a socket on it to use my breaker bar.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Iirc a 3/8 drive 9/16 socket with universal or wobble extention and a decent 12 inch racket. No need for 1/2 driv . don't even know if 1/2 will fit.they do sell a tool but it not needed
Originally Posted by CollieRover
How have you guys removed the driveshaft? Can't get a socket on it to use my breaker bar.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
You need one of these to make life easy Land Rover Discovery Propshaft Nut Bolt Tool 1 2 Dr - JGS 4x4 Land Rover Parts it's designed and made to remove the flange bolts/nuts.

As drowssap says, you can use a wobble extension also.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to get it off the truck and ship it back this weekend. Justin is going to honor the warranty. It has been shaking on the highway at around 70k so this must be the issue.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RicketyTick

I think GKN makes a centering ball also and I think neapco used to make one but never had either of those to look at.

I'm probably wrong about this, and maybe someone will chime in if I am but, I don't think any centering ***** have a grease fitting on their own. I think the socket in the driveshaft that the ball goes into has to be drilled and tapped for a grease fitting and a low profile needle type fitting will have to be used to clear everything.
I see - ok, so how does one grease the centering ball without removing it? Literally pierce the seal with a needle attachment?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Grease Zerk Under Compression vs. Tension

Saw this in one of the prop shaft rebuild DIY threads:

If you're using a u-joint with the zerk fitting in the valley of the cross, be sure to orient the u-joint correctly when you install it.
The hole for the fitting should be under compression by the driving yoke during normal operation, i.e., driving forward.
If you install it backwards so it's under tension, it compromises the strength of the u-joint.

Can someone explain/elaborate?

Old 10-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by sdhow
Saw this in one of the prop shaft rebuild DIY threads:

If you're using a u-joint with the zerk fitting in the valley of the cross, be sure to orient the u-joint correctly when you install it.
The hole for the fitting should be under compression by the driving yoke during normal operation, i.e., driving forward.
If you install it backwards so it's under tension, it compromises the strength of the u-joint.

Can someone explain/elaborate?
You are quite correct in that. It's not super critical but far better the zerk is in compression otherwise the drilled and tapped zerk hole can suffer fatigue cracking in heavy use. Unlikely but possible as the UJ is a casting.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by RicketyTick

I've only ever seen one centering bearing with a grease zerk (modified inverted type) and that was on a modified cardan professionally installed and bored into the outer ball shell and needed the flange removing to manipulate the cardan to grease the zerk.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

like this:

Attached Thumbnails Driiveshaft Question-cid_001a01c1e1147ac830608b85ea43bones.jpg  

Quick Reply: Driiveshaft Question