Drive shaft about to fail - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Drive shaft about to fail

Caught in time
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.0ECA5FBD-C902-4F4A-8B48-521AD6A3A584.MOV (1.58 MB, 79 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM

You're absolutely right - no problems and good catch - did you order the parts? I had a friend replace mine. Bought the part off of ebay and he installed it. Do you have a notch in the yoke? Mine looked like a rat gnawed it down to nothing - in fact I think it was so odd and 'special' he kept it for show and tell. There's a collector for something everywhere (big toothy grin).

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR03NJ View Post
Caught in time
You are right, the U/J's are shot, the whole cardan looks a bit rusty and scuzzy though. The spacer appears not to be standard kit as also the 12 point bolts. I can't quite figure the purpose of the spacer though.

Hopefully the cardan casting and flange is OK and all you will need is 3# U/J's and a centering ball assy plus a day to rebuilt the driveshaft.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Mine is getting bad and I'm debating where to order one from. A lucky 8 Tom woods, Great Basin rovers, or a British parts of Utah. What do y'all think
Old 01-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadFrance View Post
Hopefully the cardan casting and flange is OK and all you will need is 3# U/J's and a centering ball assy plus a day to rebuilt the driveshaft.
hopefully.. I wasn't that lucky but then again I wasn't looking for it like some people on here are. I hate to admit that I was (am?) one of THOSE people.. Late for everything, including my own wedding.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery View Post
.................................Late for everything, including my own wedding.
That's a real hoot eh.

As they say KD, 'better late than never' eh
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You are right, the U/J's are shot, the whole cardan looks a bit rusty and scuzzy though. The spacer appears not to be standard kit as also the 12 point bolts. I can't quite figure the purpose of the spacer though.

Isn't the driveshaft spacer used on lifted vehicles? It could be a driveshaft model marketed for 2"+ suspension lift.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery View Post
You're absolutely right - no problems and good catch - did you order the parts? I had a friend replace mine. Bought the part off of ebay and he installed it. Do you have a notch in the yoke? Mine looked like a rat gnawed it down to nothing - in fact I think it was so odd and 'special' he kept it for show and tell. There's a collector for something everywhere (big toothy grin).
Thanks. I got an old replacement came from my other disco when i decided to upgrade to heavy duty shafts. I am sure its still fine to use because it never had any issues yet. I just pushed my luck this time. The first time it happened to me was in an intersection. I just heard something dropped, i went out to see and i saw the shaft broke in half from the shaft. Im trying to unstall it now but i can only go out wvery 10 mins at a time. Its 21 degrees out. Niw i had to go to sears and get a vice grip. One of the head is got stripped and cant get it out from the spacer.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's a real hoot eh.

As they say KD, 'better late than never' eh
Sorry for the hijack, LR03NJ, but in my defense, Offroad, I miscalculated the time it would take for these buses to get to the Castle:

slow, backfiring, vintage beauty queen

and her famous brother
Old 01-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR03NJ View Post
Thanks. I got an old replacement came from my other disco when i decided to upgrade to heavy duty shafts. I am sure its still fine to use because it never had any issues yet. I just pushed my luck this time. The first time it happened to me was in an intersection. I just heard something dropped, i went out to see and i saw the shaft broke in half from the shaft. Im trying to unstall it now but i can only go out wvery 10 mins at a time. Its 21 degrees out. Niw i had to go to sears and get a vice grip. One of the head is got stripped and cant get it out from the spacer.
Always something isn't it? If it's not the cold, it's the tool, if it's not the tool it's time.. I'm glad you have a handle on it. Sounds like your Rover is in good hands.