Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dust boots...stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default dust boots...stupid question

ALL of the dust boots on front end of my disco are shot. Is there anything that can be done to prolong these parts short of replacing them? It kills me my perfectly good parts are going to get eaten by our road salt.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
ALL of the dust boots on front end of my disco are shot. Is there anything that can be done to prolong these parts short of replacing them? It kills me my perfectly good parts are going to get eaten by our road salt.
They do more than keep dust and grim out, they also keep grease in. You can replace the boots (I did on my tie rod), but for things like the ball joints you might as well replace them while you're there. If your boots are gone then your joints likely aren't far behind.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
They do more than keep dust and grim out, they also keep grease in. You can replace the boots (I did on my tie rod), but for things like the ball joints you might as well replace them while you're there. If your boots are gone then your joints likely aren't far behind.
I know they're going to go out sooner rather than later with the boots being shot....I was hoping someone had a brilliant idea to prolong that even though I know the answer.

Where did you get the boots for the tie rods?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by stb616
I know they're going to go out sooner rather than later with the boots being shot....I was hoping someone had a brilliant idea to prolong that even though I know the answer.

Where did you get the boots for the tie rods?
Dorman Tie Rod End Boot New 13561 | eBay

These are the ones I used. Getting the retainer rings back on takes a bit of work. I couldn't do it myself and I had to have my mechanic do it. He had some special tool so he could get it easier than I could. If I were you then I would make sure that the joints are still tight before spending the money to replace the boots. Pack them with extra grease while you're in there too. I used the same grease that I use for my driveshaft.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Dorman Tie Rod End Boot New 13561 | eBay

These are the ones I used. Getting the retainer rings back on takes a bit of work. I couldn't do it myself and I had to have my mechanic do it. He had some special tool so he could get it easier than I could. If I were you then I would make sure that the joints are still tight before spending the money to replace the boots. Pack them with extra grease while you're in there too. I used the same grease that I use for my driveshaft.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Not the joints I was working on (tie rod ends), but a neat tutorial none the less. Thanks for the link!