Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are EBC brake pads and rotors the best way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are EBC brake pads and rotors the best way to go?

Looking at buying these: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542EBC.cfm

How many of you have installed them? Are these the best option?

Just looking for a few opinions.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the EBC rotors but I love the pads so far and a lot of others on the board use them as well. My old pads were EXTREMELY squeaky and these so far haven't squealed at all.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear

i dont think slotted rotors are a good idea if u drive in mud, snow, snotty conditions should work fine on a highway only truck they will wear super fast under poor conditions mentioned

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

9 years doesn't speak from first hand knowledge.
There is no condition where slotted and drilled or dimpled have a negative effect.
I run DBA's with Kevlar pads , and with a little over 73,000 miles on them now, driving over Colorado's best rails, mud and snow, they are doing well.
As for the original questions, DBA rotors are longer lasting and quicker stopping the EBC and the EBC pads are great. Might want to go look at the prices Steve has on the DBA's and EBC pads over at DAP.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the difference between the Ultimax and Performance (green ones) or is there one?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Mudding

Hey Mike. I spoke with DAP on the rotors and they can't get the EBC or DBA rotors, but do carry the EBC pads.

So, you recommend the DBA's and EBC Kevlar pads? Do you run the Street or 4000 series DBA's? Slotted or cross-drilled and slotted?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually took the numbers I needed off EBC's site and got mine at a local shop. He gave me 20% off Atlantic British's price. He made $$ and I got a deal. Just go in and tell them what you want to pay....Most places will do it to make the sale.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Now I am going to have to go find someone else to refer people to, I know John at Expedition Exchange has them but he is pretty pricy.
As for the Kevlar pads, I bought these pads 6 years ago before EBC was around so I have no preference based on experience.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Mudding

So I got my EBC rotors and pads today. WOO-HOO!!!

Question...there is a note inside the boxes with the rotors that mentions an "air" sound during braking when using dimpled and slotted rotors. I've never had slotted rotors, so i am not familiar with this sound. Is it crazy annoying or not really noticeable?

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a negative side to consider when using slotted discs etc when you go offroad, they can fill with mud and crap and then when you brake you can damage the pad / disc surface and render them useless

Imo the Disco don't really need them unless you drive it like a nutter on road.........

Also slotted discs do work well in "high" performance situations as they de-glaze the pad, but all that is at the expense of pad wear / life, so you will probably find you will change them more often.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 04-02-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Are EBC brake pads and rotors the best way to go?