Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC pads on standard rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EBC pads on standard rotors

Sure this is a dumb question but can the EBC pads that AB sells be used on the standard rotors? My rotors are still like new but my pads are squealing like crazy so I want to change them. I would like the EBC rotors also but can't afford them right now being out of work.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, you can. However, you need to check if there is a lip on the rotors that might interfere with the new pads. The EBC's may be slightly bigger (I don't know) and not seat properly. Also, check for any scoring if the old pads wore down past any remaining pad material to the rivets, or metal backing. If so, you should turn the rotors(remove lip and smooth the rotor surface) if needed. If not, then you are good to go. Additionally, remember that if the rotor is too thin it will warp easily, and new ones will be needed.
If there is no lip clearance problem, but some uneven surface, and you decide not to turn the rotors, be careful for several days until the pads\rotors wear into each other and achieve full contact with each other.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Even if the lip is there, and it will be, it will seat into any new pads in a day or so of driving so don't worry about that.
Mike

Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a lip, then I'd go with a cheaper organic pad. Those EBC green series pads will take longer to seat than a cheap organic set. If your plan is to upgrade once your job situation changes, then the extra 10,000 miles of life isn't all that big a deal. Cheap organic pads will seat in the lip in a couple days. Those good EBC pads could take a month to fully seat, and they'll be VERY squeally once they warm up over the course of that month. I'd go with these $17 organic pads if I were planning a rotor upgrade in the future. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...V2001104R.html

Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Not to rain on your parade, but the EBC or any other Kevlar pads will seat in just fine in a short period of time and will out stop any cheap organic no name pads.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
will out stop any cheap organic no name pads.
Obviously I agree with this statement since I said 'Those good EBC pads' , and 'Cheap Organics'. I was just trying to help a guy out. He indicated that he was out of work and concious of the money he's spending - and that he'd ideally like to upgrade his rotors some day. Just seemed to me that a set of pads at less than 1/3rd the price - that would safely solve his current braking problem until his employment situation changes - might be a worthwhile suggestion. It's not like the cheap pads are unsafe, and unless he plans on hot rodding $35 for a full set of pads that will adequately stop his vehicle seems a whole lot better than $135 for someone without a job that's watching their pennies. I purchased a front set of the Kool Vu's last October just after purchasing my Disco because the front pads were almost down to metal and since I knew I wanted to upgrade to slotted rotors in December, and the pads were just going to be a stop gap for a couple months. They performed just fine. First week of January I installed a new set of slotted rotors & pads, and put the cheapies back in the box in case they might ever be needed as a stop gap again in the future. But by all means, if he prefers spending that extra $100 on the EBC's - then great for him. I just thought I'd mention an option he might not necessarily be aware of considering his current situation. I know if I was unemployed I'd be eating ground beef instead of steak (low fat ground beef of course!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am out of work but I don't do a good job of watching what I spend. It is more important to me that I get a good product that will be safe than to save some money.

My current rotors were put on by the dealer I bought the truck from so they only have about 8,000 miles on them. They have no grooves, lips or other problems at this point. The pads the dealer used were apparently a "cheap organic" which, as Disco Mike can verify, squeal like crazy when I apply the brakes. Even after I get back to work I don't know how soon I will get around to replacing brake pads again so it's worth it to me to spend the money and get good pads now.

I appreciate you taking my employment situation into account and suggesting a cheaper alternative.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will like the EBC's if you get them. I switched a while ago and noticed a dramatic improvement after they seated.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you "seat" brakes and how badly do these EBC's squeak? Mike told me that the squeaking may cause the three amigos (I cleaned my brakes and haven't had the amigos since btw) and those for some reason make me uneasy. I already ordered the EBC's and I'm not replacing the current rotors as they are in very good condition.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get to about 35 MPH and lightly to moderately slow 5MPH each time and release allowing the rotors to cool a little. Do this for about 1/3 of a mile and try not to have any high speed braking for the first 300 miles.

That is what my brembo's said..

It will take a couple hundred miles for them to seat, just allow a little extra stopping distance for a bit, and no high speed stops, if you can avoid it.

You can also spray anti squeal on the backs of the pads generously before you install them...

Quick Reply: EBC pads on standard rotors