Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Power Steering Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Electric Power Steering Retrofit

Ok, so I've never really touched the steering system other than replacing track bar and pittman arm. I know exactly jack about Has anyone retrofitted electric power steering to a Disco? How bad of a job would this be? I'd probably be using junk yard parts off of other vehicles, so any tips for what to look for would be great. My only real reason for doing this is that I'm trying to get as much stuff off of the serpentine belt as I can. I'll be doing the same with electric fans and an electric water pump as well as probably removing the A/C compressor.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Hydraulic Electric steering. Where to begin.
It's not goin to be purely electric, you need a hybrid system. It's basically just an electric pump that pumps when needed, so there is also a reservoir and accumulator. The units I work with are way to expensive to justify, and work on CAN, and require a 40 amp circuit. The easiest way I would imagine would be to have a small pump and accumulator with a pressure switch that operates to tell the pump to kick on.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saturn Ion column.

Then there is a seller on ebay that sells a system to adjust the sensitivity (Saturn Vue ion Chevrolet Equinox ? Electric Power Steering Controller Box ? Epas | eBay).

Install and done.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by slammin_LWB
Saturn Ion column.

Then there is a seller on ebay that sells a system to adjust the sensitivity (Saturn Vue ion Chevrolet Equinox ? Electric Power Steering Controller Box ? Epas | eBay).

Install and done.
Looks nice and a good price too. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I take it you don't off-road much. Personally, I'd hate to have to drive in the boonies with no power steering.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I take it you don't off-road much. Personally, I'd hate to have to drive in the boonies with no power steering.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.....
electric power steering is 8 times easier to turn. There is literally no effort when it's boosted all the way up.

The only reason I would say no to electric p/s on an offroader, is that there is a major lack of feedback to the wheel. Kinda "vague" for lack of a better term.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dgi 07
electric power steering is 8 times easier to turn. There is literally no effort when it's boosted all the way up.

The only reason I would say no to electric p/s on an offroader, is that there is a major lack of feedback to the wheel. Kinda "vague" for lack of a better term.
Hmm, I didnt think about that. Would it increase it if you just turned it down a little? I guess you could do that with the kit listed. Like I said, I'm really in foreign territory here. 90% of the time I'm removing electronics in place of older manual technologies.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came across that kit in a post somewhere where it was retro'd onto a Unimog....so I think it can handle a Rover just fine.

Also, I offroaded my RRC with 33"s and no PS (With the BMW M52 engine swap) and it wasn't difficult. I look like Popeye now though.

Discovered the linked kit and Saturn Ion method when researching ways to retro PS into the RRC....ended up making the OE fluid system work with some custom lines and a bracket.

Last edited by slammin_LWB; 04-28-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07

And more points of failure.
As for easier to turn, I guess if you have a disability and need zero effort that's a different story.
I've never found myself thinking the PS pump not up to the task with 32" tires.
But everyone has different priorities. When I'm mulling over how to do something mine is (especially for off-roading) KISS, which goes back to the more points of failure.

Last edited by antichrist; 04-28-2015 at 09:22 AM.